1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 11, 2011.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The key for Washington (and for Boston and San Jose too, for that matter, given their recent playoff history) will be what happens when adversity strikes? What happens when a couple of bad calls go against them or they go to the third period of a game down 2-1 despite outshooting the other team 35-12? The Caps', Sharks' and Bruins' histories suggest that when such moments arrive in the playoffs, they go "oh crap, here we go again" and fold in the tents.

Will they find ways to lose in the playoffs? Or will they have the mental toughness this time to pull through?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Since any team I root for is guaranteed to lose I am now taking bribes to throw my support behind your teams opponent.

Payment in Canadian or US currency accepted.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

With Hodgson being called up I thought you might cheer for the Canucks.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And trust me, I know the regular season is a completely different animal from the playoffs, but I think what's encouraging me so much about this particular Capitals team is that they won a boatload of one-goal games down the stretch and did a fantastic job of protecting late leads, save for a misstep or two here or there. They went through a long losing streak. They dealt with a bunch of key injuries. They just feel like they've been tested so much more this year than last, and hopefully that plays a key role in the postseason.

Everything was so easy for Washington last season, that when the Caps took a 3-1 lead on Montreal, I honestly think they took their foot off the gas. That Game 5 at home was the most lazy, uninspired hockey I've seen in some time. It's almost like they expected Montreal to fold, they'd sneak in a goal or two, and they'd move on. Clearly didn't happen. Ultimately, that series -- along with the added leadership of guys like Arnott and Sturm -- could prove to be beneficial this year.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

But if I root for them, they'll lose. Catch 22.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't expect it to be pretty, or ballet on ice for that matter. This series will go six games, at least, I feel pretty certain. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Rangers even win game one tomorrow night. But I do expect the Caps to win the series. Their newer style of hockey has really jelled together the past month or so, and the problems with the power play appear to be fixed too. This team gets it right now. Neuvirth could really burst out and make a name for himself, too.

I honestly think they're an Eastern Conference Finals type team. At least. This team, in a lot of ways, is a lot better than last year's version.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I still don't trust them; well, I don't trust San Jose. I think this is the year Washington gets through, at least to the Eastern Finals and setting themselves up pretty nicely. The Sharks, though, are like the Cubs of hockey. Have some solid talent and can't do anything with it. But the Caps have been better winning games 3-2 rather than losing them, at least this season.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Since most people here seem to be making picks:

Rangers in 7 - Lundqvist is a good enough goalie to steal a series or two with an otherwise mediocre team in front of him. Especially when his opponent only knows how to disappoint in the playoffs, as is the case with the Caps.

Sabres in 6 - Same with Ryan Miller. And the Flyers hit the skids down the stretch. Even if Pronger can come back, it's hard to just turn it on for the playoffs.

Lightning in 6 - No Malkin for all the playoffs and possibly no Crosby for the first round makes the Penguins very ordinary. And the Lightning still have some good players.

Canadiens in 6 - Tim Thomas had an outstanding season in goal. But the Bruins, much like the Caps, only know how to lose this time of year. And the Canadiens in particular have had their way with the Bruins in the playoffs.

Canucks in 5 - Blackhawks are a thin shell of last year's championship team, while the Canucks are much better. Luongo has a lot to prove, however.

Kings in 7 - The Sharks are the Capitals of the west coast.

Red Wings in 7 - Like last year, should be a very good series. Also like last year, Red Wings will prevail in the end because of their great edge in experience.

Ducks in 6 - Even putting aside Corey Perry, the Ducks have been outstanding down the stretch.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Wow. A lot of folks are going out of their way to pick upsets. And I just really don't see that many happening.

Caps and Canucks in 3: Neither is going to have any trouble with an opponent that, with its playoff life on the line, pissed down its leg.

Sabres in 6: The only big upset I even think has a chance of happening.

Bruins in 5: This years Habs aren't last year's Habs.

Penguins in 6: Fanboy pick. Though I *do* think the Pens' defense is about six or seven times better than Tampa's.

Sharks in 5: Kings are too beat up.

Red Wings in 6: Hate those fuckers, but they're not losing in the first round.

Predators in 7: Of the teams in the playoffs, only Tampa gave up more goals than Anaheim.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I kind of want to amend my pick on the PIT-TB series. No way Tampa goes into Consol and wins Game 7.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In 3? They get an automatic bonus win??

12. mb

mb Active Member

Dominate the first three to the point there's really no need for a fourth.

Draft saved Draft deleted