1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 11, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Get ready for two months of fabulous hockey

So, here's the first round:

Eastern Conference

Washington (1) vs Rangers (#8)

Don't see New York beating the Caps. Don't have a dog in this hunt.

Phlly (2) vs Buffalo (7). Go Buffalo. Flyers' goaltending will probably mean the end of them by no later than the second round

Boston (3) Vs Montreal (6). Enormous bad blood between these two in the regular season. Should be a barn-burner with two of the best goalies in the League, Tim Thomas & Carey Price. Gotta go with the Habs

Penguins (4) vs Tampa Bay (5) No Crosby or Malkin for the Pens but still think they might ride Fleury

Western Conference

Vancouver (1) vs Chicago (#8)

The Canucks are the favourite to win the Cup---hands down the best team in the league. However, the Hawks have eliminated Vancouver the last two years. Still, Canucks should take this in five. Go Canucks

San Jose (2) vs LA Kings (7)

Go Fishies! Maybe this is the year they don't spit the bit.

Red Wings (3) vs Coyotes (6).

Don't think Phoenix can beat Detroit.I'll be cheering for the Wings

Ducks (4) vs Nashville (5)

Don't see the Preds beating Anaheim. Ducks were on a huge roll ad the end of the season. Corey Perry led the league in goals with 50 and was second in the league in points. No big favourite here but I'd like Nashville to make it past the first round

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the Preds -- and the most unsung coach in professional sports -- advance passed the first round.

I'll be attending my first NHL playoff game this week @ the Honda Center, so I have little doubt Nashville will advance. Ha!

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps in 5
    Sabres in 6
    Habs in 7
    Bolts in 7

Canucks in 5
    Sharks in 7
    Red Wings in 6 (thanks to a win on home ice in Glendale in Game 6)
    Preds in 7 (really good series that no one outside of SoCal or middle Tennessee will pay attention to)

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Caps (won't be easy), Flyers (six week break is over), Pens (work ethic, Fleury will neutralize Tampa's power play).

Hawks, Sharks (Losing Kopitar killed my dark horse), Preds (much better goalie), Coyotes.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll believe the Caps when I see it.

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Correction, Byfuglien owned Luongo.
    Don't think the Blackhawks have that big body in front of the net that can rattle Luongo this year.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think the Hawks have much of a chance. Hell, they couldn't even win on the last day of the season to clinch a spot. Had to rely on Dallas choking later that day

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Blackhawks aren't as good as last year and Vancouver is a lot better, and it's not like those last two series were easy wins for Chicago.

They *could* win the series, but it'd take a lot of good bounces and sound defensive decisions, both of which have been in short supply this season.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Vancouver has the best goals for and best goals against in the league.

The Sedin twins were #1 and #3 in the scoring race. Corey Perry was second

They remind me of the Red Wings teams of the 90's. They're all business now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks swept the Hawks.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm with you. I was torn whether to say they'll win in 5 or 7, because I don't think they'll clinch on the road. So I went with five.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's another +1 for Moddy's comment. I trust the Caps not one bit. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were swept by the Rangers. And I'm only a mild hockey fan. I can't imagine what the hardcore Caps fans think.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

They played in the weakest division. Red Wing comparison is a reach, Nik Lidstron is so much better than their d, forward depth isn't there either.

Draft saved Draft deleted