1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running shooting thread 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You seem to forget the phrase “Well regulated militia.” The issue of gun ownership isn’t necessarily as simple or obvious as many think.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The ship has sailed. That phrase does not liimit the express right granted.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't, or we wouldn't be sitting here debating it. Same with every part of the constitution. One side hangs its hat on "shall not be infringed," and the other on "well regulated militia." There are dozens if not hundreds of local, state and federal laws already on the books, ranging from how guns can be obtained to where and how they can be used. That would appear to cover the "well regulated" part.

One phrase that's often overlooked is "the safety and security of a free state." It's usually interpreted as meaning that it's necessary to protect the U.S. in case of foreign invasion, or even a tyrannical government. It could also be interpreted as a right to personal safety and security to maintain a free state by preventing it from devolving into criminal anarchy. I think that's what Heller and Bruen have focused on.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some jackwagon unloaded on the patio of one of my favorite bars around 10:30 last night, killing a regular. Little shook right now. I'm usually there around happy hour time or during the afternoon on weekends, but it just underscores that it can happen any place, any time, and there isn't shit you can do about it.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Like, indiscriminately?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That seems to be the case. The people who were there (some posting on Reddit) said it was a random act.

8. Regan MacNeil

Sorry for the regular. I guess in NRA’s America anywhere can be the wrong place at the wrong time.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That ship can return. are we still here to greet it is the real question ?

10. Regan MacNeil

Mass shooting at a parade in Highland Park, a very rich Chicago suburb.

God bless America.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted