1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shooting Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 18, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

I do wonder why some people spend more time trying to "demonize" unarmed people shot by police than exploring who these shooters are. I understand the idea of not wanting to make someone "famous" for a despicable act, but I also think we don't want to acknowledge that a lot of these shooters are a lot "closer" to where many Americans are at right now. Dismissing them as "troubled" "mentally ill" or that the incidents are just tragic "one-offs" isn't doing anything to address the problem. "Guns?" - sure, but there definitely seems to be a profile of these shooters, socially-isolated, usually white males between the ages of 17-25. I figure if cops can pose as underage girls online to nab predators, or jihadists to stop potential terrorists, they can do the same to find some of these people before they do some damage.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It might be easier to simply count the days when the White House flag isn't at half staff.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A cop who criminally assaults or kills anyone, for any reason is one too many. It’s wrong. No debate.
    The consistent use of criminal force is worth every protest and demonstration.

400 murders take place in Chicago every year, 300 in Baltimore. St Louis’ murder per capita is top 15 murder city in the world. 90% of the victims are black in those cities. The murders by civilians in those cities and a dozen others generate little
    Political and activist attention.

is it fair to ask why 1 victim’s murder justifies the intense attention of activists, citizens, politicians and media yet another victim’s murder in worth 2 small paragraphs on B3 in the metro section? And unless the victim is a child under the age of 12, no
    Mention on mass AV news.

The answer is, no one really cares about the victims of police shootings or civilian shootings. It’s all politics.

6. DanOregon

7. Neutral Corner

8. Neutral Corner

9. Neutral Corner

Christ. I can't keep doing this. It's too damn depressing.

10. Neutral Corner

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think this is what gets me most in the aftermath of mass shootings, so many telltale signs were ignored. Yeah, it's guns. It's also mental health issues and so many other things I've listed on numerous threads here and on other social media forums. But how many are looking beyond "guns bad, get rid of them" to get to the root causes?

12. DanOregon

I remember after 9/11 it was "if you see something, say something" but these days I come across half a dozen people I think could be "profiled" as potential shooters. Young while males, into guns, seem always pissed off and/or are isolated, talking about people they'd like to get even with...imagine if people called 911 every time they some someone dressed "militia-ish" walking into a store with a gun at their side and said an armed robbery was going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted