1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running shoes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 31, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Then shoot for 7:30.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Nike Frees are pretty damn sweet if you're into the whole flexible sole-type shoe. Very comfortable and light.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

WFW, and I'm a guy who logs between 1000-1200 miles a year.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boom put me onto the Asics Gel Kayanos. I have always had good luck with them, after lots of leg problems, including stress fractures in both legs.

But I saw something on Real Sports a few months ago about running barefoot and the move toward flat shoes. ... How people ran for millions of years before the shoe industry came out with the modern running shoe about 30 years ago. The people in the story contended that the modern running shoes actually cause more problems. One thing that stuck out was research one guy was doing with tribes in Africa that still run barefoot -- and do a lot of running, even men in their 70s. He videotaped how they run, and instead of heel to toe, they run on their toes. And fast and without leg problems.

I realized that I naturally have always run that way -- well, more flat-footed, and I have less leg problems that way. But the shoes I have been wearing are the typical running shoe geared toward heel to toe. I haven't changed to those weird glove type shoes with no padding, because what I am wearing is working fine for me. But if you get a chance google "sole runners" or something like that. The HBO thing made a compelling case that running barefoot is best for you.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Zola Budd would agree.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I hate to admit to being a Nike whore, but Nike Zooms are so good to me that I try to stockpile them, going so far as to putting them on the annual Christmas list (seems lame asking for shoes). I concur with all who have said go to a real running store, not Dick's, etc. Those yahoos don't know what they're talking about. We're fortunate to have Fleet Feet in upstate NY. It takes 10-15 minutes, you actually try a variety of brands, and it makes a huge difference for something that you're going to be trusting on your precious feet for what we hope will be many, many miles.

Best advice I got from a coach I know is, when you're just getting back into it, start slow and do something that YOU think is easy, then build up.

7. Boom_70

Rather than time I prefer to train with HR monitor. Feel like I get a better work out.

If you are starting a program I would think using a monitor would allow you to workout in the right zone without overdoing.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A little shopping tip I only share with my good friends:

Get fitted by an expert, then go to holabirdsports.com and save a ton. Very deep discounts, I have no idea how or why. I start a new pair of shoes every 3 months or so, holabird has saved me a fortune on New Balance. They carry most major brands, check it out.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Asics Gel Kayanos are the shoe Runner's World talks about most often in connection with us larger runners. I wear them and think they're very good.

I've read all the barefoot stuff too. I certainly wouldn't try that, or a shoe that mimics that, right out of the box. Let's see where this bright idea is a couple years from now. The only guy I know who tried it developed stress fractures.

I find a running log, like you can buy at your local running store, is a cool motivator, and it keeps me from bullshitting myself about how often I'm getting out there.

Good luck.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've always gone with New Balance, usually a higher number. The higher the number, the more support. Plus, you can wear a good pair of NBs for years. Mine usually lasted about five years, at which point my mom would usually steal my sole-less shoes and make me go get a new pair.

My mom has so many foot problems (she literally has NO ARCH in her foot) and NBs have always done her right with a proper insole. However, I second what everyone said about getting fitted properly. That can make all the difference in the world.

11. Boom_70

"TNGWP" / Rex Ryan

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ditto on this. However, since I run in the city and prefer not to embed my feet with broken glass I recommend Saucony or New Balance. Your local Marshalls or TJMaxx can set you up with a pair for $34.99 if you wait a few weeks for the spring shipments come in.
    Until then, spend your time preparing for shin splints. I cannot stress that enough. They take too long to heal.

Draft saved Draft deleted