1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shoes - 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you did it in New Balance, so I'm curious, did you wear a hole in you black, calf-length socks from Gold Toe?

;)

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I do have Gold Toe socks. Not only is it an American company, but a Southern company. The Moretz folks over in Hickory are some good people. :D

3. Shoeless Joe

Oh, and I also shop at Belk when I can. That's another Southern company, and they have built more athletic facilities that can easily be counted.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

HA! Back in the day, my father was Belk's main men's shoe supplier, so I know it well.

Now I suppose you're going to tell us you fueled up on Goo-Goo bars during your run?

5. Shoeless Joe

No Goo-Goo Clusters on Saturday (I like the pecan kind) but I did drink a Dr Enuf just before the race

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is this thread about running shoes or is it a running thread about shoes in general?
    I don't want to read the first three pages.

7. Shoeless Joe

running shoes, but maybe some folks run in loafers or whatever

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

AppGrad mentioned Brooks PureConnects early in the thread. I had been looking at different minimalist shoes and they probably would have never been on my radar screen. I read about them and the PureFlows (SF_Express!!!!), which are a bit heavier and padded and bought a pair of the PureConnects sight unseen. I just bought my third pair and have been running on them for the last half year.

I love them. They are light as anything and have a nice snug fit. But they are an actual shoe, rather than a form-fitting foot glove. I run really comfortably in them. I was already used to running without bulky, padded shoes, so there was no adjustment. But my legs feel so light with them on. If you run with a mid foot strike and want to go minimalist, I couldn't recommend them more.

9. Shoeless Joe

I don't think the minimalist thing would work for me. If I haven't mentioned it (although I think I have) my feet are as flat as a pancake. I have the opposite of arches. That's why I like the 99x by New Balance. Yeah, it's kinda on the bulky side, but there is actually something substantial between me and the road. I was just looking today; I've run closing in on 900 miles this year. I don't know if that is a lot compared to others, but I think minimalist shoes wouldn't hold up to that and give me painful feet even if I replaced them every couple of hundred.

Draft saved Draft deleted