1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shoes - 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am a little puzzled. If you believe good running shoes are important, how would you not be aware of the brand of the shoes that you like or put on the wrong shoes ?

You need to start looking at your feet before heading out.
    :)

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Some of the New Balance line has the advantage of being made in America. www.shopnewbalance.com/information/madeinusa.asp

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Runners World Magazine does a good job of helping runners find proper shoes.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Don't know about running, but as a basketball official....I had the all-black Air Jordans (the one with the see-through window)

The harder soles made my feet sore the next morning....Bought a pair of the Air Max 360 2 weeks ago.

My feet thank me very much.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Long-time runner here.

I find that your best bet is to go to a specialty store with a good selection and staff that knows what they are doing. There's one locally that I go to. They analyze your stride and foot type and come up with options that are likely to fit you best.

I've walked out of there with some Brooks, Asics and Sauconys. I like to buy a pair from them at their price (typically more expensive than if I shopped around) to compensate them for the help they give I wouldn't be able to get at Dick's or in some mall store (avoid those...those are all fashion-oriented) then buy replacements elsewhere once I know what shoe works for me (if you have an Outlet Mall near you, you can usually get a pair for 30-40 percent off retail). After about 18 months, I'll be curious as to what's out there that's new, so I'll go back to the specialty store. I don't run in the same shoes for more than 3-4 months (I'll run 4-5 days a week, 5k to 10k on most days).

Shoes make all the difference for me because even at my optimal weight, I'm about 205 (about 220 usually) so my feet carry a load. I'm a slight overpronator, so I look for some stability, but I don't like a shoe that makes me feel like I have a tape job holding my foot in place. So mild support and lightweight for having support are what I'm looking for.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

First, thank you to 21 for the he/she clarification.

Second...I'm not at home right now so I can't look at my shoes to check the brand. Brand name wasn't important to me when I was buying them; I tried on many pairs and got the ones that fit the best. And, yes, I should have paid more attention to when I was putting them on. But I was in a hurry to get my run in before dark and I just grabbed the wrong pair from the closet. I'm a mo-ron sometimes (OK....lots of times...whatever).

However....my wearing the wrong pair of shoes for a run doesn't top what my younger sister did once years ago. We were sitting across from each other in Sunday school, and I looked down and noticed she had on two completely different black shoes. She said she tried on one of each to see which looked better with her dress and got distracted.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

From experience,too many races to count and too many miles a week to admit to...

Spend some time at a real running store and find a shoe that works for you. Most stores will have a return policy so that you can actually take a shoe out for a test run. Buy the first pair wit hthem and try to negotiate discounts for future purchases, otehrwise the web is significantly less expensive.

Once you find a shoe that works, buy at least two pair and alternate them between runs. It takes that long for the midsole to recover from the compression.

Most shoes last 300-500 miles before they start breaking down. Shoes are the only real equipment investment that one has to make fro running, so it seems reasonable to replace shoes on a routine basis. Doing the math, if you run 25 miles a week, and alternate shoes, the minimum replacement time is every 6 months and perhaps closer to a year.

Look after your feet well. Good socks are important to prevent chafing and blsiters. And keping your feet clean and dry will prevent nai lfungal infections.

Finally, the most expensive shoes are not necessarily the best ones for you. But buying shoes that are a couple seasons old because they are cheaper may get you a shoe that has lost its cushion because the midsole has broken down over time.

Happy running

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Finally got home and got a look at my shoes. They're the Brooks Beasts.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:106928/sku:11007914/brooks-beast-mens/kodiak/midnite-blue/&SID=8032&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEO-_-Feeds-_-Froogle-_-null

And, since I'm running in the morning, I've already pulled the correct pair from the closet.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Runner's World, especially this month's cover, provides some pretty good inspiration, as well. I've been taking it down to the treadmill with me and laying it out next to it as I work out. When my legs start getting tired, I look down at the absolutely cut-up man and woman on the fold-out cover and think about how much work they put in to get like that. Should probably hang it on the refrigerator, too!

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

New Balance New Balance New Balance.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Ran today in the new New Balance 993s. I had been running in a pair of Nike Pegasus 28s I had and there was no comparison. The New Balances rocked.

12. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Thanks for the great info, looking to get some new running shoes and subsequently get my fat ass back into running

Draft saved Draft deleted