1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shoes - 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not a big person thing, it's a save-your-body thing. Even if you weigh 120 lbs, you're still hitting the ground 120 lbs of force if you're running or jumping. I keep a one pair for inside, one for outside, one for travel, one in a box waiting to be abused.

When I find a pair I love, I buy several over a few months because athletic shoes are constantly being discontinued and replaced with new models. Annoying!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I alternate several pairs. It can't hurt and your shoes just last two or three times as long, so its a no brainer to me.

Also, I moved to the Vibram shoes TigerVol's linked to. I use them mainly for outdoor running, but will take it to a treadmill too now.

I feel silly as hell in them, but I run more comfortably in them than I ever have. I have never been a heal-to-toe runner, so the idea behind minimalist or bare-footed running made perfect sense for me. And sure enough, it just felt right immediately when I tried them.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

New Balance or Saucony were the best high-volume running shoes I ever had. By far (even though the addidas Oregon was my all-time favoritxe shoe). Both, at the time, were also made in the USA. New Balance still has a wide assortment of domestically-assembled shoes; not sure about Saucony.

Moddy, any decent running shoe will work just fine on a dirt road. Back when I lived in North Nowhere half the roads we ran on were dirt/gravel and regular running shoes worked just fine.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I'm a basic 20-25 mile a week jogger. I'm not a particularly big guy, but I've always had a really heavy foot strike. Even when I'm just walking around the house, I sound like a herd of elephants trekking the living room (as my wife likes to remind me). For that reason, I've tried just about every brand, but tend to stick with Nikes. They just seem to give me the softest "ride", and leave me feeling the least beat up. Probably all between my ears, but that's important (for me, at least), when I'm having my daily "just stay the h*ll in bed" thoughts.

Having said that, I can only use them if they're in widths (usually has to be special ordered) and wear them out MUCH faster than other brands. My .02

5. NDub

NDub Guest

Shoeless Joe - Have you tried on these New Balance shoes or other shoes? Fit is the most important thing.

Here's what I do: Go to the local running store, have them test your gait and stride and a couple other things, then try on the 2-3 pairs of shoes they recommend for you. Price shouldn't be an issue when it comes to saving your joints.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was going to make fun of you for paying that much money to look like an ape going down the street, but they are actually not as much as I thought they would be.

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/Vibram%20FiveFingers?s_kwcid=TC|13029|vibram%20five%20fingers||S|e|11508345845&cm_mmc=ps_google_OW-_-Category%20-%20Footwear-_-Footwear_Brand_Vibram-_-vibram%20five%20fingers&gclid=CMHXpfqWx64CFYio4AodRHNSCg

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, I tried them and several others on locally and intended to get them here until I found them online (thanks to 21) for substantially less. I'm all for paying a little bit more locally, but not as much as I saved.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

As rated by Consumer Reports. The Champion Amp 2 is CR's recommended buy.

Men's
    Asics GEL-150TR (Men's)
    Champion Amp 2 (Payless)
    Avia A104M
    Under Armour Proto Evade II Trainer (Men's)
    New Balance MX1010

Women's
    Asics GEL-150TR (Women's)
    Ryka Core Strength XT
    Nike Zoom Quick Sister+
    Under Armour Proto Evade II Trainer (Women's)
    Avia A104W

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he/she said. I started on a run a few nights ago, and got about a mile in and thought, my shoes don't feel right. Must be time for new ones. Looked down, and I had on a pair of cheap, CHEAP ones I have that I just wear around, and not for running. My feet and ankles hurt for a couple of days after that. Two nights ago, ran six miles in my good running shoes -- Saucony, I believe -- and felt a world of difference. They weren't cheap, but well worth the money.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

She.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing that is worth noting that I'm not sure anyone here has mentioned is that different shoes are designed for different types of striders. They are very specifically tailored to conform to your particular running style. Find out if you need a stability shoe or a neutral shoe. A good salesperson can tell you that within about four or five strides. And it really isn't that tough to figure it out yourself either, by just paying attention to how your foot lands and rolls into the next step.

Draft saved Draft deleted