1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Shoes - 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

New Thread, Old Topic

I'm needing a pair of solid running shoes. I'm not "becoming a runner" but have started running to do a one-off event in a couple of months. Fitness isn't an issue. I've just agreed to run in a race for the heck of it.

Does anyone have experience with the New Balance 993s? Everything I've read says they are the "Cadillac of running shoes" and that sounds pretty good because my feet are as flat as a table top. I don't skimp on shoes and don't mind paying for them for that reason. BUT, I don't want to pay the price for the 993s when something half the price is equal the shoe.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A couple of marathoners in my unit swear by these.

http://www.karhu.com/mens

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't know from your kind of running but New Balance have my vote (and my podiatrists, as well).

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Real men wear virtually nothing:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Everyone who skimps on running shoes should take all the money they save and give it directly to the orthopedist/chiropractor/podiatrist.

I'll never wear anything but New Balance. I try them in the store, then buy them at a discount on holabirdsports.com. Check it out.

But those shoes TigerVols posted....been thinking about trying them. Anyone have experience/advice with those (or something similar)?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I love my NB Minimus trail model. I just got a pair of the Merrell Trail Gloves. Obviously, they are quite a bit different than the 993s. But you can't go wrong with NBs.

21, I tried on a pair of the Five Fingers a few months ago. They just felt weird. But a couple of friends swear by them.

(And I love that Shoeless Joe is asking about shoes.)

7. Shoeless Joe

My old school brain tells me a shoe like the NB 993 is going to ultimately hold up better the way it's made vs. the new ulta-hip mesh-of-month type shoes (regardless of manufacture). I'm not big, but I'm not a Kenyan, either. Your feet are taking the pounding, so if a shoe is made of super fine materials, it's not going to hold up as well. Correct?

It certainly helps that the 993s are US made and the military likes them to the point that they make versions for each branch.

Funny side story - funny now, not in 1989. Before leaving for boot camp I was told to bring a good pair of running shoes. My dad says "Hell, boy, you ain't gonna be wearing no tennis shoes in boot camp. WEEEE didn't even have tennis shoes. You're just gonna throw em away when you get there." So, being the dutiful son I went down to Pic-n-Pay and bought a $19.99 pair of disposable shoes. I had blisters and my feet hurt like crap for two months. To this day I still threaten to beat him over that piece of sage advice.

8. Shoeless Joe

Thanks a ton - 32 to be exact. I ordered the 993s and got them $32 cheaper than the best price on them I've found locally, $45 off full retail, and I even got a free shirt to go with it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Looks like you've already ordered, but I still want to interrupt this New Balance pep rally a plug in for Asics. I get the latest Gel Kayano, which is their higher-end shoe but, like 21 notes regarding running shoes in general, worth the extra cash. I love them. One thing I'd like to do eventually, but just don't really have the money to toss around, is to get two pairs of shoes at once and rotate them in each day. That's supposedly ideal for both your feet and your shoes.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I somehow managed to get through the winter without undoing all I did last year. Stayed at -40 over what I was a year ago, have started dropping slowly again. Would like to add in some running again soon and take the next big step.

When I ran before, New Balances were far and away the best. Nike isn't a friend to the big guy. Asics were good - but I prefer the NB.

Yet I still have a question: I now live .8-mile down a dirt road. Is there a good trail/road combo shoe I can get?

Dick's point about the two pairs is a good one, I've heard that a lot over the years. I've also heard 3-4 months MAX for shoes if you run regularly. They break down quickly. But maybe that's just a big person thing?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I have Nike now, but I rarely "run" for extended periods of time. I've had my current pair of Nike's for a year and everything seems fine. I feel like I SHOULD look into a new pair soon.

I will say, though, that when I was doing a bunch of running back in high school and college, I had Asics and I loved them. Been thinking about getting another pair.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This Clydesdale swears by these, Moddy:

https://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=Solomon+XT&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=salomon+xt#q=salomon+xt&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&psj=1&ei=LEVOT4LNEaiIiAKs08XMCw&ved=0CHkQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=379778dd497a898&biw=1113&bih=600

Draft saved Draft deleted