1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SEC Media Days Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Rules of Golf, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not sure. Cutcliffe is what he is, in my opinion — one of the absolute best quarterbacks coaches and offensive coordinators in the country, but not an outstanding head coach. Now, if he went somewhere and took a Rodney Garner or Trooper Taylor recruiting machine with him, then he could probably be a solid head coach.

If nothing else, though, Cutcliffe should be one of the highest paid OCs in the country. Look at what he did for Tennessee's offense last season. Think about all of his quarterbacks since 1992 (except his last year at Ole Miss) — first-round, top-five pick Heath Shuler; first-round, top-overall pick Peyton Manning; third-round, national-champion Tee Martin; first-round, top-overall pick Eli Manning; and now Ainge, who was good last season and played a total of two series in two of Tennessee's four losses (Arkansas and LSU).

So, at a legit 6-6, with a strong arm, good enough mobility (he was a solid AAU point guard and college prospect) and two years of learning from Cutcliffe ... remind me again why Ainge won't be an early-round pick next year?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He'll likely have to wow 'em at the combines, because with the team's lack of proven talent at receiver and a schedule loaded with tough road games, he could be 25% better this season and still have statisitcs that are 25% worse.

3. I believe toughness is still a bit of an issue as well.

4. Hammer Pants

I agree with that ... but I still think Cutcliffe's advice will be a big factor. He's got street cred. Cutcliffe won't bullshit the scouts about every strength and weakness he sees with Ainge.

Physically, their incoming receiver talent OVERALL is better than what they've had in a while. But, you know, other than Kenny O'Neal, they're all freshmen. But Brent Vinson, Gerald Jones, Ahmad Paige and Eric Berry (who will play both ways, per Fulmer) are all really good-looking athletes from every report I've read, and there are a few more. I think the tight ends are better than most think, too.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I agree, which is why I have a little more optimism for the 2008 offense than I do the 2007 version.

Of course, I'm a little weary of "athletes." Just give me receivers who can be on the same page as the QB, run precise routes and catch the ball. And don't give me any more Leonard Scotts.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Without Ed Orgeron, there would be no "Ed Orgeron goes batshit crazy in his first meeting with his players" posts on the internet. Possibly one of the funniest things ever to roar around the college football fanboards. That and the Texas fan's recap of the Texas-Nebraska Big 12 title game.

7. Hammer Pants

And give LaMarcus Coker at least 15 touches every game.

Draft saved Draft deleted