1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SCOTUS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That Twitchy's two appointed justices, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, thumbed their noses at him in both these cases heartens me. The time will come in late November and early December when they'll be asked to reject challenges to an untold number of states that flipped from red to blue. I hope Texas is one of them.

2. Twirling Time

Shocking that SCOTUS justices didn't realize this fact en banc more than 40 years ago: Being a swing vote makes you much more powerful as a justice.

You can hew to one side of the aisle or the other, but that makes you what you are, a judicial hack. O'Connor and (subsequently) Kennedy realized these powers and played them to the max.

Sure seems to me that a greater number of today's justices, Chief Roberts particularly, are starting to recognize that they can gain more power by exploring the bounds of their boxes, and are doing so with some gusto. This is a delicious and delightful development.

maumann likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The right whined about judicial activism for decades. Now it’s been delivered for real on a platter by the Federalist Society.

It makes me think there really is a God and he is a real prankster.

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Even though it's factually incorrect, I'm drawn to the moment in the musical "1776" where the meek character representing the swing vote for Pennsylvania realizes how his place in history suddenly depends on where he'd rather be one of a nameless, faceless majority or "the man forever known for blocking independence."

Funny how history is sometimes made not by those placed there to in order to keep the status quo but by those more concerned with how they may be regarded by it.

6. Twirling Time

Short of being served a Novichok milkshake, I think Chief Justice Roberts is well on his way to being one of the SCOTUS GOATs. Right up there with Warren, Holmes and Taft.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He's still gotta wear Citizens United and Shelby Co. v. Holder around his neck forever, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Political Genius of John Roberts

It is worth asking what Roberts will do when Trump eventually leaves office, when the chief justice no longer feels obligated to prove that his court is not beholden to a singularly toxic and corrupt president. To be sure, this chief justice is still not a centrist; he remains devoted to his pet projects, like blessing voter suppression laws or hobbling administrative agencies’ independence. It is simply too soon to tell whether Roberts has really had a change of heart on hot-button issues like reproductive rights and LGBTQ equality, or if he just wants to shield his court from political blowback in an election year. While he has succeeded in lowering the temperature of SCOTUS discourse, he has not clearly abandoned those conservative crusades that evoked so much Democratic outrage in the first place. Citizens United is still on the books. The Voting Rights Act in still in grave peril.

The Roberts Court has set democracy back 70 years.

9. Della9250

Some late-night fun:

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Wait specific prisoners or was there a federal moratorium on executions?

11. Della9250

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted