1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SCOTUS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Bad wording on my part. They extended the ministerial exception that allows priests to be fired without many of the normal protections.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Could well happen if Dems pack the court, which they should.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I do know that if Thomas doesn’t punch out now, there’s a very good likelihood of that happening, court-packing or no. The RBG seat should go to the one who deserves it the most, Garland.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

He's 67 already. Unfortunately, Merrick is going to have to go down as a historical footnote.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

SCOTUS: 7-2 rules in favor of Vance.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Thomas and Alito dissenting.

7. MileHigh

Court rules Trump is not immune from the New York grand jury process, but case is sent back to lower court.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

So, 1.5 out of 2? Batten down the hatches ... Tweetstorm a-comin’.

9. MileHigh

"Given these safeguards and the Court's precedents, we cannot conclude that absolute immunity is necessary or appropriate under Article II or the Supremacy Clause. Our dissenting colleagues agree," Roberts writes.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. MileHigh

7-2 again in the congressional subpoenas: "The courts below did not take adequate account of the signficant separation of powers concerns implicated by congressional subpoenas for the President's information."

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Our government has not completely crumbled but Thomas continues to prove what a clown he is. As a freshly minted lawyer I thought he was unfit to sit on our greatest court; 31 yrs later he cements his legacy in my mind. He’s just a hack carrying water for his boss without any thought to his duty to the country and citizens. He’s just going down in history as the Accidental Silent Motor Home Driver" on the Court.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Driftwood likes this.
  12. MileHigh

No justice retirements announced.

Draft saved Draft deleted