1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SCOTUS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Based on what?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why? He's more consistent than any of them. And if you like lonely dissents, he's the king.
    I've seen no evidence that any of the justices play politics.

Prediction: This case is 9-0.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

got your lapdog right here Brett 23945212-472F-4FB2-A7B0-DD6A4CCFE8ED.jpeg

maumann likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it just me or have the decisions in SCOTUS cases seemed to come with more majority/minority opinions of late. Instead of one opinion for the affirmative and one for the dissent, it just seems that more justices seem to have the destination in mind, but wans to take their own route, -

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

As much is SCOTUS is on the 24-hour news cycle, it has gone from a more or less anonymous group to a bunch of partisan hacks wanting their share of the spotlight.

The Supreme Court's latest ruling exposes personal fissures among the nine justices - CNNPolitics

The dueling sides of the 5-4 cases handed down late Wednesday took issue with each other's legal rationales. But they also engaged in personal recriminations that laid bare shifting power dynamics and deep ideological differences, particularly when it comes to religion.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember when he was nominated there was considerable talk from former co-workers that Gorsuch was an insufferable prick who always had to be the smartest guy in the room. Not seeing anything in that story to signal otherwise.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Is this the first generation of Supreme Court justices groomed for the Court from the jump? You used to have judges who were Republican. Now they start out with the Federalist Society in law school and climb the ladder as "Republican judges."

8. DanOregon

Between the Trump ruling and the rubberstamping of executions, I'm guessing the Catholic Trumpers on the court don't hold too tight and fast to their faith when deciding things.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They're in an interesting spot.
    Their church is one of the few entities in the world that opposes both abortion and the death penalty. But they know that they can't oppose the death penalty because their political klan is based on rage. So they pick politics over religion and still get to cling to religion without consequences.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Catholics are laughing at the South now; think back to a mere 60yrs ago when JFK was trying to overcome the Pope’s shadow.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would like this a lot more if it had been checked by a copy editor prior to publication. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted