1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SB XLVI commercial, food, half-time, non-football thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 5, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm half-surprised someone hasn't made a spoof of a Super Bowl ad (babies, dogs, various odd-pop culture personalities, patriotism, movie references and gratuitous bikini girls) as a Super Bowl ad.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A great parody of the Clint ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-j_8qCbHsUA

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that the NFL wouldn't have Jay-Z as the act for the New York Super Bowl.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've been saying it since the NY/NJ Super Bowl was announced: Jay-Z and Bon Jovi. Book it.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Replace Jay Z with "John Mellencamp" (has that phrase ever been used before?) and "New York" with "Indianapolis" and you had the prevailing wisdom this time around. Chances are you'll get Billy Joel doing "New York State of Mind" or something similarly pointless.

Oh, and my friend's Doritos commercial won the USA Today Facebook Ad Meter contest - the team won a $1 million to split with the crew/cast/etc. I'm hoping to get at least a free drink or two out of the deal.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Gerry and the Pacemakers.

With real pacemakers, of course.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

John Mellencamp is very unpopular with the right side of the political aisle -- Dan Quayle infamously walked out of a Mellencamp concert in Tahoe because Mellencamp said something bad about Dubya -- and with the pseudo-military vibe the NFL cultivates, they weren't going to go looking for trouble.

Jay-Z may have some profanity-laden songs, but he can sing three clean ones (including the New York anthem) and he has no political ties to besmirch him. Kanye? No chance.

8. mb

mb Active Member

Personally, I thought we retired the WTF? award when they trotted out the Rolling Stones in Motown.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hip-hop generally sucks live (though I guess Jay-Z could lip sync like Madonna did).

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Book this, right now. In the next three years, you can count on seeing 1.) Nickelback, 2.) Jay Z/Beyonce, 3.) Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I would like 90s 1/2-hit rock wonders: The Offspring; Elastica; Veruca Salt; Marcy Playground; Spacehog; The Refreshments

Draft saved Draft deleted