1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 3, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did notice public facilities are hard to come by.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Favorite running places? God, I've got a million of 'em; some of the variety is what keeps you going.

* Someone said D.C. along the Potomac; two thumbs up.
    * Along the wharf in San Francisco (no need to tackle some of those hills) or across the Golden Gate Bridge.
    * There's a trail that runs along an old canal down near Rutgers; goes for miles and miles and the footing is nice on the knees and feet.
    * Dozens of trails in Minneapolis.
    * Can't pass up doing the last 6 miles or so of the marathon route in Boston (but weekends are best for this; much lighter traffic).
    * Love to run the Strip in Vegas, but only at 5 or 6 a.m., about the only time of day when the street is deserted.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

yes agree on the strip but as you said early a.m.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I love running along the lake in Chicago.

If you get up early before the crowds fill the sidewalks, Charleston can be a great place to run, too.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've run around the Mary Tyler Moore lakes in Minneapolis when covering the Bucs back in the day.

Some of us ran an actual race in Griffith Park in L.A. once on the NFL beat a long time ago. Some serious runs in Chicago.

We used to find some pretty good spots, and I think the most those guys on the NFL beat ever ran on a Sunday morning was about seven miles. Some serious runners on the Bucs beat in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and I think some of the first ones got some others involved -- and they wound up the bigger fanatics.

As for today, I have two artificial (the green stuff with the little black rubber nubs) and two natural soccer fields behind my condo (literally 2 minutes through my complex away) and the straightaways on the grass are a big help on the legs. So I mostly run laps there -- .6 miles (a kilometer) per lap. Helps reduce the pounding a lot.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Contemplating signing up for a full marathon for this fall. I'm a relative newcomer to running (started two years ago). I've run one half and am currently training for my second half — it's in four weeks.

Besides the fact that I'm either crazy or stupid (or both), anyone have any experience running a marathon? Is there a better training program to use?

As part of my current training I'm running 20-25 miles/week right now. I know that my weekly big runs will come close to that if I go for the full.

Draft saved Draft deleted