1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running RIP thread for musicians who died in 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Jan 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Not from me, at least.
    That guy's a total weirdo.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Say, here's another reason I've never liked Skip Bayless ...

upload_2022-10-28_2-12-6.jpeg

upload_2022-10-28_2-12-38.png

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

DH Peligro, drummer for the Dead Kennedys, dead at 63. Fall injury.

https://consequence.net/2022/10/d-h-peligro-dead-kennedys-drummer-dead/

For a very brief period the lineup for the Red Hot Chili Peppers was Anthony, Flea, DH Peligro and Blackbyrd McKnight. They only played a few shows together. I was at one of them. They were beyond horrible. I was convinced the band was done. Then they fired McKnight and Peligro and replaced them with John Frusciante and Chad Smith. They've done OK since then.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Aw, man. I loved “I Could Live in Hope”

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oh man, he was a fun guy.

Back in the day when I was a country music reporter, I spent a few days on the road with Alabama. We went across the Great Lakes, and during that time I discovered they are indeed country boys with cash so they liked their weed. Around that same time, I'd seen Friday and I was quoting it to them..."puff, puff, give!" "Smokkkkeeeey!" but, they hadn't seen the movie. Anyway, they had a meet-and-greet in a K-Mart on the last day I was with them, so I purchased the movie on DVD and cued it up in the bus' DVD player.
    I flew home to Nashville and curled up in my bed and about 3 in the morning the phone rings. "Hello?" "TigerVols you sumbitch!" roared the quite stoned voice on the other end of the phone that I recognized to be Jeff Cook. "We're on our third viewing!!!"

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

They were regulars in my area when their career began to skyrocket. A distant relation owned some hotels in Myrtle Beach and a big farm locally. He'd befriended the band when they were up and comers playing at The Bowery.
    Fast forward a decade, and the guy held an annual big time angus cattle auction. The members of Alabama came to buy cows. I was just a kid being dragged to a cattle auction by my dad, but it was cool to wave at the guys I heard on the radio.

RIP. Rosin up your bow.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Driving cross-country on an Interstate, you have a tendency to keep catching and passing (or getting passed) by the same group of cars, trucks and busses. I was moving back from Florida to California on I-10, and I kept catching up with what obviously was a tour bus for a musical group but I had no idea who they were or what music they played.

This was in the late '70s, so there were bands named for towns -- Chicago, Boston, Nantucket, etc. -- and then Kansas. This bus said "Alabama" and I sort of kept that in the back of my mind until they hit huge. Always loved "Cheap Seats."

"We like our beer flat as can be, we like our dogs with mustard and relish..."

My golf buddy's wife died last month after more than two decades of Parkinson's. Her funeral is Saturday. I'll be thinking of Jeff as well. RIP.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cook could play. It's weird, all three of the cousins could sing decently, but Teddy and Jeff maybe would get one deep cut a record. Obviously hugely successful, but I think they could have had even greater impact if the broadened their range a little bit. Maybe if they did an album of covers of the music that inspired them, worked with producers outside of Nashville. It's not like one bad record would have wrecked their careers (though "The Touch, which sucked, did cost them the choice to keep Harold Shedd as their producer).

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I waited in line all night - along with a bunch of other folks - to buy tickets to Alabama's concert at the Heart O' Texas Coliseum in Waco, Texas. I was buying for a big group, and we got some tickets on the front row, but off to one side, and more on the fourth row right in the center. It was a great show, and since you were allowed to take in cameras, I got some really good pictures of the band.

Draft saved Draft deleted