1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running RIP thread for musicians who died in 2022

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Jan 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Just realized some names that deserve notice but not separate RIP threads:

Jan. 13: Five Satins lead singer Fred Parris.

Hit the charts with "In the Still of the Night" in 1956 and "I'll Be Seeing You" in 1959.

Jan. 11: Rosa Lee Hawkins of the Dixie Cups.

Original member scored a No. 1 with "Chapel Of Love" (written for the Ronettes) in 1964 and charted five times in a two-year span. They had the first cover hit of "Iko Iko" in 1965.

Jan. 7: Canadian-born, Motown-based R. Dean Taylor.

One-hit wonder with chart-topper "Indiana Wants Me," but also known for writing "Love Child" for the Supremes, "All I Need" for the Temptations and "I'll Turn To Stone" for the Four Tops.

Jan. 6: Calvin Simon, original member of the Parliaments/Parliament-Funkadelic.

Sang with the doo-wop group formed by George Clinton. He and two other original members broke ties with Clinton in 1978. He eventually hit the Gospel charts (and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Music Hall of Fame with P-F).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm reminded that the early 1970s were just an extension of the post-Beatles 1969. A lot of shit on the radio with a occasional gem from the Stones. A lot of good shit blackballed from radio from Led Zep about the same time.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The next decade is going to be rough in terms of losing the figures we think of when we think of modern music.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

garrow and maumann like this.
  7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I listen to the 60s/70s/80s “this week” countdowns every weekend on XM and I am always amazed at the songs that I have never heard of before that made the charts. I think it is pure luck for one song from the Top 40 to endure while one just behind it never gets played again.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

I partially blame Drake Chenault and other automated production houses who provided reels of tailormade programming to stations. The rest of the blame goes to iHeart Radio and the other conglomerates who make every station sound the same. Radio programming is so homogenized now that even XM has a limited number of "oldies" in their rotation. They've stripped away anything that doesn't neatly fit into the boxes they've deemed the "60s sound," the "70s sound" or the "80s sound."

I totally get why the novelty songs and instrumentals don't get played. But there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of solid songs that reached the top 10 during their history that have completely fallen off the face of terrestrial radio, either because they were country crossovers or deemed unusually slow or fast by the programmers who want to cater to a particular range of listeners. That means no Carpenters/Freddie Fender/Donna Fargo/Charlie Rich or disco outside of the Bee Gees/KC/Donna Summer bloc.

That's one of the reasons why I loved the heyday of Top 40 AM Radio so much, both as a listener and as a jock. You never knew what song might be coming next.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That’s why, as we’ve noted here before, the replays of “AT 40” with Casey Kasum are so fun … you hear ALL the 1970s and 1980s hits, not just the same Bon Jovi or George Michael songs.

There are a lot of big hit songs that never get played on the corporate-owned retro stations.

misterbc, cyclingwriter2 and maumann like this.
  11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wenders, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted