1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Republican Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wonder if Kasich moved his needle there.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Coming from a slightly different angle than many here still in sports in that I cover politics a lot.

Think Kasich is only one I haven't interviewed in last four years. Bush, Huckabee, Graham and Christie most enjoyable people to chat with while reporting. Worst ones to deal with... Rand Paul, Rand Paul and, uh, Rand Paul.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was a question about collecting phone data. Christie was playing up 9/11 hard to argue security over liberty. Paul augured no threat justifies ignoring the Constitution. It turned into a NeoCon/Libertarian pissing match.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tony, I didn't watch. How did Mitt do?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

My main takeaway from the parts I watched was how clear it appeared that Fox News was trying to skew the results. Could plainly tell they don't want the rogue candidates Trump and Paul to do well from the obvious loaded questions they reserved for those two. Which is hardly surprising considering the republican establishment/moneymen who've virtually bought Fox News don't want those guys either.

And, fwiw, I nearly spit up a lung when ole Jeb declared that "Al Qaeda was done for" until that damn Obama pulled troops outta Iraq. These people have not an ounce of shame. Fuck the truth, just say whatever the rubes in the audience wanna hear....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    exmediahack likes this.
  6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I can't fucking believe they asked if God has spoken to them. Even a parody of a Republican debate wouldn't feature that question.

SFIND likes this.
  8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That question about supporting the future candidate and not running as an independent was a direct shot at him. They knew exactly what was going to happened and I'm kinda surprised the so overtly torpedoed him.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From a Facebook friend: Does anyone else think Jeb Bush looks like a cross between Will Ferrell and Mike Lupica?

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

And some others.

Chris Wallace is starting to look like a thin Nathan Lane. Kasich looks like Harrison Ford.

Chris Christie must have makeup from the C. Thomas Howell/Soulman collection. He looks darker than the President.

I was most amused (so far, about halfway through) at the nod between Walker and Trump - as if the governor doesn't want to get on Gekko's bad side.

The opening question from Bret Baier about would anyone on the stage pledge not to run as a third party was so amateur. Just ask Trump the question.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Trump was going to torpedo himself eventually, with or without Roger Ailes's help.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I think tonight's big winner is Kasich. He had a couple of answers that seemed good to me and got a very strong crowd reaction. But, I am an Ohioan, and he was speaking to what I assume was a mostly Ohio audience. Those answers may be just a reflection of an "average" Ohio person. I doubt anyone else on that stage would admit to going to a gay wedding.

I think Trump, Christie, and Paul were big losers. Trump's ego came across. Christie/Paul played to no one other than their few current supporters. Everyone else was static.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.