1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Regular Season 2010 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 2, 2010.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Urb's singing now that he's gone -- filling in the NCAA on all of Bama's hijinks.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

4. mb

mb Active Member

But ... we're *allowed* to do that ...

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) — School officials have confirmed that Oregon paid about $28,000 to a pair of recruiting services, but claim the payments and services were within NCAA rules.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to the story they are allowed to. Be interesting to see where this goes.

I saw this on the ESPN scroll that said Joe Schad and Mark Schlabach (sp?) had "learned" about this. When I googled it I came up with a Seattle PI blog.

According to the blog, Charles Robinson of Yahoo actually broke this story.

6. mb

mb Active Member

So, the question is whether or not this is what Schrutebag was yapping about.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon has no recruiting ties to Texas whatsover for about 100 years. Then, a new coach is hired who ties to street agents who live in that state, and before you know it Texas kids who do not have Oregon listed in their top 10 or 20 schools and who probably couldn't locate Oregon on a map suddenly start committing sight-unseen, or taking trips very late in the recruiting process, and lo and behold there's a check from some very obscure part of the budget paying one of these recruiting agents about 4X the value of his "services."

Boy, I can't see why anyone would be suspicious.

What's unusual is that Oregon actually released a financial document without the threat of a lawsuit. It routinely ignored budget/contract-related FOIs from the Register-Guard and Oregonian for years and years, with no consequences. It has already started playing the "cooperated fully with the investigation" card.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"There's always an uncle, camp organizer, former trainer,...." I wonder if these guys are "sponsored" by a shoe company.

Draft saved Draft deleted