1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I Should Coco and Batman like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It looks like a Jay Leno bit gone bad. Very bad.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This.

Plus, I don't get why anyone could be on board with the idea of lunkheads like Derek Chauvin being given badges and guns and a ridiculous amount of authority over people when they hit the street, and then acting like judge, jury and executioner. If you're truly a law and order person, and not just an order person, what about the law part of it? Cops should be making arrests when they have probable cause. Anyone arrested has rights.

Unfortunately, people who are talking about training cops better, are missing that the problems are systematic, not as much procedural. And we have a lot of systematic problems that feed into it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    TigerVols, OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Baseball players could teach cops a few pointers on "policing their own." Never understood why good cops allow the bad ones to fester. A guy like Chauvin will get through and get a badge a lot of places - the good agencies will also hire cops who will step in when a fellow officer gets out of hand. Seems pretty simple - don't want to show another cop up? Have a "safe word" - something you can say in front of civilians that won't make it seem like you're telling your partner to back down, but if the cop persists - you do. Hell, police dogs are better trained than our human cops.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Funny how Trump's Religious Libuurrrty klan is silent on this one.
    If there's a bomb threat, OK. Cops should go into the church and order everybody to get the hell out. As long as the order is crafted to treat religious gatherings like other gatherings, the current Trumpandemic-related limitations on services meet the Constitution's obligations.
    But just to give POTUS a stage for his theatre? Not a vital use of state power.

The truth about Trumpist pseudo-Christians is that they hate Episcopalians because Episcopalians are just one small step from those damned Catholics, who worship the Pope.

6. Hooray4snail

Hooray4snail Active Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Our cops are on steroids. For real. Forget about training and start with that problem.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How do you load a liquid in a leaf blower? That makes no sense.

Kentuckians are stoopid.

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Hey now!

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That picture brought a little tear to my eye. Especially looking at the black guy, with his two fingers eye-ward, going "I see you," with his other hand out.

It makes it so that I still want to know: What is the point of the mayhem. I know we're saying mayhem is the point. But, to what end?

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Not one single chance that happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted