1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NYT: Trump warned governors they will look like "jerks" if they "don't dominate and send protesters to jail.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

As this cuck boy pussy hides in the White House with the lights off like a vacuum cleaner salesman is at the door. Dumbass.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

But isn't it just as likely that one story overtook another?

That American cities in flames and police overwhelmed in the streets by looting and violence pushes social distancing and mask protocols off page one?

Especially as we're being told America is "reopening?"

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The root word of news is "new." Only natural the protests would push pandemic off the lede for a few days. Pandemic's been the ONLY story for months.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You let them riot just to make me look ridiculous. And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous. Now you get the hell out of here!

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bravo!

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Trump needs to stop tweeting. Honestly, some Secret Service person, or Pence, or somebody, needs to be willing to get fired if that's what it takes to get in his face and stop it.

Curfews of 6 p.m. need to be imposed nationwide. Yes, back to shutting down. Really shutting down, for at least a week.

And maybe the police should go home. I'm beginning to get a sense that some of this looting, fire-starting and rioting is blatant play for the cameras, and that ignoring it might actually make it fizzle out better than any use of force or antagonism, or, to use Trump's word, "dominance."

I know that city-wide planned (and supported) tactic worked like a charm one time when some hooded, sheet-ed, knighted members of the KKK made an all but staged visit to my city, and were practically run out of town by the silence and the studiously imposed lack of impact they were having on our population.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For those of you who may have missed it, I'd like to again note this fantastic column by Kareem:

Op-Ed: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Don't understand the protests? What you're seeing is people pushed to the edge

...if for no other reason than to give me an excuse to post this:

Racism in America is like dust in the air. It seems invisible — even if you’re choking on it — until you let the sun in. Then you see it’s everywhere. As long as we keep shining that light, we have a chance of cleaning it wherever it lands. But we have to stay vigilant, because it’s always still in the air.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There's nothing "Honorable" about this excuse for a human being. He's despicable and simply another horrible human being who happened to have some mental acuity for the law and no eithics or morals.

He's going down in history right there with H.R. Haldeman, Nixon. He man be AG now, but we have the choice of labeling him "Traitor" , "Treasonous", "Liar" and "Un-American" for the rest of history. As CSN said "TEACH YOUR CHILDREN".

NEVER FORGET!

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the ordinary course of events, the protests, and therefore the vandals and looters they attract as hangers-on, would fade away beginning today as people went back to work. But the virus made sure there's no work to go back to. Downtowns, ordinarily the most crowded spots in cities, are now the least crowded at least with folks going about their daily business.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted