1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

A board does not do the day to day operations of a company; it's the management that does. The board is only a final firewall. What was the racial makeup of the C-Suite Mr. Kessler? Yeah, thought so. But blame the diverse members of the Board. Maybe the diverse members of the Board were telling management to take less risky choices and were ignored, yet still blame diversity.

tea and ease likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

maumann, tea and ease, Hermes and 6 others like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Us Acela Corridor types might be a little better off if we saw more of those images, especially the ones involving white people, because we're led to believe it'd never happen to them.

Dated someone years ago who made a lot out of herself, but came from circumstances approaching those. It was a shock to me, and I thought I grew up poor. Not meant to be judgmental, it just really caught me off guard.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Unfortunately so.

Heck, I could drive you an hour outside of booming Bentonville - home to Crystal Bridges, Rapha and the Waltons - to people still living on well water and with outhouses.

maumann, Driftwood and FileNotFound like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There is a nice seafood restaurant in Bentonville, which as everyone knows is a short drive from lovely Neosho, Mo.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are a whole lot of nice restaurants there these days. I dropped $100 on dinner at one a couple of Saturdays ago. (Then went to the trendy dive bar around the corner for $3 PBRs.)

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There’s a bar around here that still serves up $2 PBRs if you’re a regular (otherwise $3). Found a real dive a couple years ago in Greenwich Village that had $2 PBR tall boys. It was the weirdest place I’ve been — mismatching chairs, I think we were sitting at an old elementary school table. It was a charming mess.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My grandmother didn't have indoor plumbing until about 1982. There was an outhouse just as you see them in the movies, and she had a cistern behind the house for water. I remember using them both.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why Poverty Persists in America

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

12. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Damn. His parting shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted