1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

She tried drowning him twice in one night? Jesus.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We'll see.

The only person who went to jail in the Eric Garner case was the bystander who shot the video.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree, we'll see.

Garner's friend who filmed his death went to jail on unrelated drug and weapons charges. You make it sound like he was arrested that day. It was a year or two later, and he sold heroin to an undercover cop and had a gun on him.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Threatening...

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If they’re not charged Minneapolis is in for a lot of hell.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Clearly? I don't agree.

But yeah, he claims he has been targeted.

If we're being honest?

What happened to Garner was horrific. You had a couple of thug-like cops, who seemed to treat the street like it's their job to dispense instant justice, kill a man. Everyone should have been outraged by what that video showed.

But what seems more clear to me about Orta, the guy who filmed it, is that he kept getting into trouble for selling drugs and walking the streets with guns, and he then made the Garner incident into his goto for how he has been wronged.

Maybe the cops are targeting him, but if that's the case, he could have done a better job of proving it, rather than just alleging it a lot. He pled to the drug and weapons charges. Would you really guess that he's not a guy who was on their radar screen over and over again for selling drugs on the street?

I'd guess it's way more likely that he has been transferred around the system and ended up in solitary because of things that happened while he was in jail, rather than some corrections officers hundreds of miles away from NYC being part of a plan to harass him. Doesn't mean that the corrections officers aren't abusive, or that the system isn't disgusting, but this guy also seems to have a nose for finding trouble, too.

I don't think his story is as clear as what we saw with Eric Garner.

Draft saved Draft deleted