1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ran across this on Facebook. Particularly liked the part about white people not used to being restricted on anything - on not being part of "the club" that can get away with using the word and having a hard time processing that. To me, that's what white privilege is - not feeling like an "other," thinking of everyone "else" as different. I think I'm fortunate in that I've had a few experiences where I was the "other" - the "white friend" or not understanding how my words would be taken differently by people with different life experiences.
    Ta-Nehisi Coates has an incredibly clear explanation for why white people shouldn’t use the n-word

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So admittedly I listened but did not hear the slurs myself. But IF that was said, so sad. Also such hypocrisy, he criticizes the kneeling during the anthem yet he's disrespecting the anthem by TALKING during the anthem.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Blame it on the Diabeetus.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Fuck him. He doesn't say that, disoriented or not, if he doesn't think it.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Apparently the Oklahoman initially named the other guy as the racist announcer. That should be a nice settlement

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Just once, I would like to see someone post a statement like "I said those things. I can't apologize with sincerity because I really am a racist. That's how I was raised, the beliefs that I have. I don't care to learn about the plight of people of color because I don't care."

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

While the arc of the moral universe is long, it does not necessarily bend towards justice.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It seems like a stretch, but the more I consider it, I believe it could be possible.

I know racist comments aren't what you want to hear, whether someone is disoriented, or not. But I wouldn't put saying something really out of character out of the realm of possibility.

Diabetes -- Type 1, not Type 2 (although that's present in a couple people, too) -- runs all through my family. Had a grandmother and a grandfather, and have two first cousins and two nieces who all have Type 1, and I've watched both cousins during separate instances when they went into insulin shock. Sufferers literally may not know what they're doing, or saying, during an episode, and they probably won't remember it afterwards, either.

It can affect different people in different ways, and perhaps Matt Rowan is simply using his diabetes as a convenient, ready excuse. But I've seen what he's suggesting happen, although in my one cousin's case where that exact type of thing occurred, he spouted a lot of gibberish at first, but then got angrier and less controlled, and started cursing (as he never does otherwise) and flailing around, and becoming combative when his father and brothers tried to restrain him once they realized what was happening. It was an unsettling thing to see.

The other cousin has had diabetes since he was two years old, and has an even more severe case. When he goes into insulin shock, it sometimes turns into a real diabetic coma, in which body functions start to shut down, and the victim falls into unconsciousness. He has been hospitalized several times in his life because of such episodes when the family couldn't pull him out of it and he passed out. Even when we were kids -- we lived around the block from each other in New York -- we all knew he definitely had to have a regular after-school snack, and I can remember once when we were out bowling together, and his blood sugar was off (in that case, it was low). His brother could tell, and said, "We need to leave," and we did, right in the middle of a game.

Diabetes can be lived with, but it definitely can do some strange things to a person, too.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He’s not from the House of Windsor. You don’t have to write him a Get Out of Racism excuse note too.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

JFC. If you listen to the tape, he's not ranting and raving. He is very simply expressing his racist views about black lives matter and black kids and other kids or anyone kneeling for racial justice. And there came a point when they realized the feed was live and they shut it down. He was not in the middle of a medical breakdown. And the fact that you might think he was is disgusting frankly.

Draft saved Draft deleted