1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Their consternation reminds me of Susan Collins’ internal debate over trump.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you even realize that such a comment actually contradicts your previous post? First you were claiming that they were just reflecting the beliefs of the NAACP's members and that they have no problem with anti-Judaism. (You will pardon my use of a different term. I see anti-Jewish as more accurate than anti-Semitic, though the terms are used interchangeably.) I think a fair characterization of Collins is that she is someone who is compromising her beliefs for political reasons. I do believe that she has real disagreements with President Trump, but she lacks the will to actually take him on for risk of political consequences. That actually may be a fairer interpretation of the NAACP's national leadership choosing to condemn what Mohammed did without cutting ties with him, instead hiding behind the ridiculous claim that they believe he didn't know the meme was anti-Jewish. I imagine this is driven by a desire to hold their own constituency together and making that a priority over punishing an influential man who likely does have ignorant beliefs about Jewish people. I believe the only mistake Mohamed made was allowing the public to see those beliefs.

If you went with the Collins comparison first, I'd have been more inclined to agree with you that the NAACP is putting internal politics ahead of doing the right thing.

3. heyabbott

I disagree about Collins. Her consternation is kabuki. She’s with trump 100% because that’s her political calculus. If she has a moral core, he’s yet to violate. The NAACP is engaging in kabuki as well. They have no real problem with what was done in Philly. Their consternation is purely posturing. Anti-Semitism doesn’t violate their moral core, any more than their members’ and leaders’ homophobia.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At least he’s no longer Rodney Anonymous.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not in Arkansas ... no way ...

7. heyabbott

Huckabee kountry

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are missing my point on Collins. I'm saying it isn't that she agrees with him on everything. She is refusing to truly stand behind her opinions, instead voting with him for political reasons.

The NAACP situation is more complex, but comes down to the same concept. I don't think the membership agrees with that meme. I just don't think they care enough to take the appropriate action and reject the man who shared it.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Thom Robb/Billy Roper element is strong here. Unfortunately. But at least we have the Buffalo.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arkansas Nazis.

I hate Arkansas Nazis.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Like it or not, in this age of more enlightened attitudes enforced by social media the NAACP is going to have to clean things up. You can't push BLM and equal rights for Blacks while leaders among you say anti-semitic and homophobic things. Sooner or later someone's going to get called out and their privilege checked.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted