1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Teddy isn't the problem per se with the statue.

It's the two minorities flanking his horse in subservience.

If it were TR alone on horseback, no one much would be complaining.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The DFL certainly rules the City Council.

To their credit they've been trying police "reform" the last few years without success. Which is why they're considering a de-fund / dissolve or decertify the union / remake-the-department strategy, along the lines of what was done in Camden, NJ.

Minneapolis City Council advances controversial police oversight proposal

Killing of George Floyd shows that years of police reform fall far short

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    If you don't see white supremacy in this image, I don't know what to say to you.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’ve seen that statue a thousand times. At worst I would say it’s patronizing that blacks and indigenous peoples need TR to guide them. Is that white supremacy? I didn’t think so. Its white liberal patriarchy.

TR is not portrayed subjugating them or oppressing them and he doesn’t have that historical reputation in myth or fact.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Camden initiative cost a lot of money, required more cops, and, for the first three years, led to more complaints about excessive force.

Those years are when they were shutting down the open-air drug markets.

In other words, Camden rebranded, went heavy, shut down the things causing the murders, then backed off.

There is no going heavy now.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

the philippines

but the statue is the statue and if it's not obvious to you why it offends, then no amount of explanation will suffice

OscarMadison, Fred siegle and Mngwa like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There are differences, sure.

But the defund / decertify / remake approach is what's being considered in Mpls.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Branson!

The store where the protesters gathered is owned by the son of Tom Robb, the head of one of the biggest KKK organizations. But the owners aren’t racist, heritage not hate and all that.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Alma framing something again.

In this case, you keep making up stuff and then repeating it over and over again, and if I point out the BS, you ignore it and just state it again.

1) "A lot of money" is subjective. Camden spends $68 million a year on policing (actually the state does, b/c Camden is so poor it can't afford to fund police on its own), which is quite a bit more than most communities its size. The context is that unlike 100 percent of those other cities, Camden is the poorest city in America, and the crime that came with that poverty had it near the top of the "most dangerous cities in the US," year after year after year. That isn't the case anymore. But yes, a community that is that poor, dilapidated and crime-ridden as a result, required the state to spend more money there than it does in comparably-sized cities without the same problems.

2) That "more cops" thing is wrong. You said it over and over again when we discussed it, because you read some stuff and made wrong assumptions and then created an untruthful narrative. Camden's city force was about the same size as the new county police force that replaced it. That is just factually true. You had no clue that prior to defunding its police force, the city had a bad year in which it had a severe funding shortfall, and at the same time, there was an impasse in negotiations with the police union. That led to them laying off almost half of its police force. They were in crisis. You have somehow made that a starting point -- when it was hitting every place in New Jersey (there was a budget crisis!). Newark laid off a bunch of cops, Jersey City did, too. The difference was that Camden is so poor that they relied on the state for nearly all of their police budget, so their layoffs were massive. It wasn't the norm. Prior (and after) that, their police force was not substantially different in size than it is today. But no matter how many times I factually point this out to you, you keep up with your same BS.

3) No, that "first three years" excessive force complaints went up AlmaTM narrative is as wrong in that last post of yours, as it was the first time you posted it and I posted what actually happened.

What actually has happened (not Alma making up stuff).

They disbanded the city force and went with the county police in May 2013. Excessive force complaints in the years since:

2014 65
    2015 44
    2016 31
    2017 16
    2018 3
    2019 3

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's fine. Might work. Might not. Will cost a lot of money either way.

I'm real familiar with the way social workers and cops interact. Social workers don't love cops in a lot of situations. They don't. Cops are impatient, irritable and often unhelpful with their "how can you be this stupid" and "why don't you just change?" attitude. So if you shift some of what cops do over to social workers, it may lead to more de-escalated situations.

But social workers are young and overworked, too. The social welfare system is already stretched to the max in a lot of areas. Both governmental and non-profit orgs are perpetually scrambling. Legalize weed? Sure. Do that. See what kind of parents you get when they smoke weed all day. Kids go right in the system. On the one hand, most states and most people are deeply moralistic when it comes to child welfare - if I presented ten cases on here, I'm guessing all ten would be voted as a foster care situation- while, simultaneously, wanting to be deeply pietistic (in a secular humanist way) when it comes allowing adults to be less-than-their-best-selves because they can't kick substance addiction.

Somehow, someway, American governments have to be able to generate enough confidence and authority that they can go back to poor folks - of all races - and know when and how to say "enough, now you need to be personally responsible." I think it starts with getting guns out of the equation, and violent interactions, too.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well doesn’t almost all American history offend. Why is a statue of TR more offensive than the thousands of George Washington statues and paintings and cities? He was a slave holder. Thomas Jefferson, Madison are they too not more offensive? Everyone who voted to ratify the Constitution was overtly or tacitly accepting of slavery. The pioneers were racist and oppressors, the railroads built on cheap and indentured Chinese and Irish labor on Native lands. The Mexican American War was trumped up to conquer Mexican land.
    Even John Adams, while opposed to slavery, allowed for it as a compromise to make the country.
    What part of American history is worth celebrating? Lincoln would have accepted slavery to keep the Union in 1861.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OK.

Let's take a billion from the cops and give it to the social workers. And the food bank. And the affordable housing initiative. And child services. And community psych centers. And day care. And a jobs center. And a gang intervention program.

You want to rein in guns? Me too. You want to improve "personal responsibility?" Me too. You want to remake the foster care system? Me too.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted