1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's more that I'm realistic about it. I fully expect excesses and outrage from both sides.

2. Neutral Corner

Sand gets in everything.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Italian soccer team’s social media group needs to think about maybe choosing another picture.

Fred siegle and Spartan Squad like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A statue of Theodore Roosevelt is being removed from public display in New York.
    Fuck you, statue nazis.
    TR did more for natural areas in this country than any president.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In this case the "nazis" include the Roosevelt family.

“The world does not need statues, relics of another age, that reflect neither the values of the person they intend to honor nor the values of equality and justice,” said Theodore Roosevelt IV, 77, a great-grandson of the 26th president and a museum trustee. “The composition of the Equestrian Statue does not reflect Theodore Roosevelt’s legacy. It is time to move the statue and move forward.”

7. Driftwood

Yeah, I read the story. Fuck him, too.
    TR was TR.

8. PCLoadLetter

You know, after 400 years of wiping our feet on minorities I don't have a big problem with taking down the trophies of white privilege.

You do you.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Driftwood

I'll be happy to do me. I don't care about so called trophies of whatever white privilege is. I care about natural resources. I care about national parks. I care about coastal areas.
    I don't give a shit about whatever group you belong to as long as you fish. TR set aside areas for us to do that.

qtlaw likes this.
  10. PCLoadLetter

And at no point are you even acknowledging why the statue is coming down, which doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with Roosevelt. It's offensive enough that even his own family finds it distasteful and says it needs to come down.

You can still fish even without the subjugation of minorities on a goddamn statue.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am sure that statue coming down is quite an important milestone in the eradication of racism in the U.S. I am curious, though ... Who’s still running the show — both politics- and police-wise — in Minneapolis?

12. Driftwood

I'm just not triggered by the literal definition of an inanimate object.
    I just want people to quite tearing up stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted