1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Ha. Double connection.
    I covered a second round football playoff game there in 2008. It was cold enough that I came out of the rickety ass press box down to the concourse to buy an official NCAA DII Playoffs cap because my head was cold. I still remember chowing down on chicken strips and hot coffee.
    I also covered a football road game at NDSU in 2003 in the Fargo Dome.

Batman likes this.
  2. Driftwood

I actually have a picture of me hanging in my man cave covering that game at Delta State. It's not a Pulitzer Prize shot, but it was someone behind me saying, "Hey, Driftwood." and me looking back over my shoulder with the field in the background.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My game was in 2000, during Delta State's national championship run. I was joking about the North Dakota guys thinking it was cold, but it was really fuckin' cold that day. One of those December days in Mississippi right after the front moves through. About 38 degrees, 25 mph wind blowing straight down the field, and it's in the flat Mississippi Delta so there was absolutely nothing to keep it from cutting right through you. Plus it was overcast and wet, so you didn't even get the relief from the sun. About as miserable a day as you can imagine, weather-wise.
    I remember North Dakota State punted out of the back of its own end zone and into that wind. The ball made it to maybe the 20-yard line and got blown backward. Delta State downed the ball, wound up with first-and-goal around the 10, and punched in an easy touchdown.

4. Driftwood

The flip side of that is when I was in Fargo. It was late August, early September... season opener for both teams. For a southern boy that time of year, when night fell, it got cold. I was wearing a coat.

Batman likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Grads of San Mateo Serra include Barry Bonds and Tom Brady.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Lynn Swann went there. Two in SoCal — Serra in Gardena is a football powerhouse and JSerra in San Juan Capistrano is building to powerhouse status in most sports.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dale Gribble looks like he's put on some weight.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know screw it, why do we need statutes anyways? What positivity do they provide? It’s narcissistic and self-congratulatory.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, in Philadelphia ...

Penn-Statue 7.29.10 PM.jpg

10. Driftwood

I would argue they whatever the statue, it is a great piece of artistry and craftsmanship which should therefore not be destroyed.
    I can't draw a stick man or craft a clay ashtray. I don't like seeing the work of skilled hands rendered to rubble.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes I’m all for artwork but I highly doubt the statutes were erected at the artists’ initial motivation. It was to “honor” the person.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted