1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why do we need a statute to Junipero Serra? I don’t need to be reminded of how Catholics overran the Native Americans in CA; I disliked the “missions” project my kids had to do in grammar school.

Key? The anthem is enough, why do I need to see a statute of him?

Why do we need to remember General Lee? Seriously what is the good reason? Not that it’s history, but give me a specific reason. What great sacrifice did he make that makes America what it is today?

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My wife went to Catholic school when she did the fourth-grade mission project. She got into a little trouble because during her research, she learned how horrible Father Serra was and tried to write about it. Her mom finally had to get the school to back down and just let her write it.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

During my credential program, we had to do a project that looked at how we could teach critical literacy in the classroom, particularly for younger kids. I learned a couple of things: One, it is way harder than you might think to find mission books anymore. I think I pointed that out to a book store owner and she basically said the kids books about missions aren't in demand much anymore. Two, found a religion teacher at J Serra High School who wrote a book that said the mistreatment of the Natives was overblown and Serra was just trying to do his best and any mistreatment was someone else's fault.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was not aware of the NCAAs action until this morning. That has some real teeth, as opposed to the SEC ruling, which is mostly window-dressing.

Batman likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Heck, I've actually covered NCAA postseason at Delta State.

6. Driftwood

Also, in the San Fran statue melee, down went slave owner Ulysses S. Grant.
    Wah, Wah... sad trombone.
    Driftwood told ya.

This shit has to stop, or Trump will be thrown a lifeline.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And that motherfucker has not one, but two high schools named after him. I attended one briefly.

8. Driftwood

98.6% of people attacking statues and monuments have zero - ZE-FUCKING-RO - clue what they are doing. They are just just bent on destruction.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've never covered baseball there, but I did cover a football playoff game there once. They blew out their opponent and, in the fourth quarter, had speakers on the sideline blaring "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams Jr. while fans chanted "Welcome to the South!"
    I tell ya, on that windy, brutally cold 38-degree day they showed those city boys from North Dakota State a thing or two.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi State's baseball coach issued a statement in favor of changing the flag.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Awaiting Coach Leach’s statement.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

All of the state's university presidents have come out to say it should be changed. Leach didn't go as far as Lemonis, but isn't swimming against the tide on this one. Lane Kiffin tweeted out a similar statement.

Also worth noting that a lot of Mississippi's cities, including most of the bigger ones, have stopped flying the flag over their respective city halls. Gulfport took theirs down this past week, and many others have done it over the course of the last 20 years or so. There was a referendum on the flag in 2001 that voted to keep the current/old design (in large part because the proposed replacement sucked).
    The big argument in the state now isn't so much whether it needs to be replaced, but how to do it -- put it up to another vote or ram it through the legislature. Personally, I'd prefer a vote. I think the people of this state rejecting the old design would send a message and carry a lot more weight than if it was done unilaterally by the legislature. But there's certainly a risk that the old design might have enough support to stay, especially once the "Fuck you, don't tell us what to do" mindset grabs hold.

Draft saved Draft deleted