1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Here. This sort of laughs it off, but the complaint against the sculpture was that there was a horned, cloven-hoofed goatman preaching to animals all in a pentagram. It's a storyteller figure, used in the artist's other statues from time to time.

Ram-Headed Southern Storyteller, Birmingham, Alabama

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thirded.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the SEC/NCAA's stance. I just scratch my head whenever anyone talks about "confederate" flags and only singles out Mississippi. Georgia dropped what people think of as the Confederate flag that it adopted in the 1950s, but replaced it with this, which by the way, is actually the "stars and bars" not the battles flags (Army of Tennessee/Army of Northern Virginia) which were never adopted in whole as flags of the Confederacy.

[​IMG]

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I hope everyone protesting the Trump Tulsa thing agrees to meet someplace in Tulsa but totally removed from where his shitshow is happening.

If you get 100,000 marching for BLM and he’s speaking to 2,000 empty seats, that would piss him off more than anything.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I never knew about him. wow.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

(Sorry for shadowing you around the board this morning.)

A. This is total bullshit
    B. It surely is deemed at least more acceptable because the Stars & Bars hasn’t been embraced by racist groups the same way the battle flag has. We Americans like our racist messages codes, so you have to think about them a little, ya know.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This was the unofficial state flag of Georgia before 1879 - With Wisdom, Justice and Moderation featured on it, I can understand why it no longer fit - after Reconstruction ended they adopted the one down below "to memorialize Confederate soldiers).
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-6-20_7-6-35.png

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Everybody needs a good shadow.
    What exactly is bullshit? The fact that racist groups such as the Klan and Neo Nazis have adopted what wasn't theirs to begin with? I agree. My pointing out historical inaccuracies? I didn't really offer an opinion on the matter, and I flat out said I'm fine with the NCAA/SEC cracking down on Mississippi. I merely pointed out the fact that Georgia's flag is closer to a true flag of the Confederate States of America than Mississippi's.

Would people get upset if someone flew this?
    [​IMG]

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That Georgia also flies the CSA flag with little to no scrutiny about it, sending the same message but in a more subtle way.

I thought I was agreeing with you on some level.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shit be cray cray ...

Draft saved Draft deleted