1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I know I've previously noted that I'm a minority and speak out on racism in the US. I just want to state in no way do I equate or compare my experience to the black experience.

Asians in this country have much to be thankful for the Civil Rights movement led by blacks throughout our history. Before that, my ancestors faced the Chinese Exclusionary Act and could not legally own property or marry whites. Because of them, I can legally buy property and could legally marry my wife.

Yes Asians faced discrimination and stereotyping throughout, which continues today, but the blacks have faced far more. The demonization of them throughout US history is unbelievable and hard to fathom. I had hoped that we were/would be beyond where we are now. I am heartened to see the magnitude of the protests.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it is great that many places, businesses and groups are taking action in response to the issues the George Floyd killing brought to light - but as wonderful as renaming pancake syrup, removing a statue and donating to support black-owned businesses is - the silence from police unions is speaking volumes.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’d be looking into ways to decertify these unions or strip them of the collective bargaining like Walker rammed through. These people have shown that they’re about them and not the protection and service of the communities they’re employed by.

4. DanOregon

I oppose union-busting on principle. There has to be a better way to encourage the "good" cops to become more vocal. I also would like to see politicians begin to return any donations they've received from police unions and refuse any future donations until the rank and file take an active role in reform.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

I do usually but there is a big difference between a union and a mafia. When you have a code of silence, where the bad people are not only covered for but many times promoted, you’re a mafia. When the first card out of your deck when you don’t get what you want from the people who employ you is to engage in the blue flu, putting citizens in harms way, you’re a mafia. When your negotiations with the communities which employ consist of, “nice place you got here, be a shame if something happened to it,” you’re a mafia.

not to mention, police did not at all stand up for their union brothers and sisters when midwestern states were ramming home these laws. They’re off on their own red island because they care about the second amendment more than what the AFL CIO represents. So fuck em. Do to them what Reagan did with air traffic controllers.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The NCAA Board of Governors on Friday announced an expansion to the organization’s policy intended to prevent championship events from taking place in states where the Confederate flag is prominently displayed. The announcement specifically noted that Mississippi, whose state flag still incorporates the former Confederate flag, is the only state affected by this policy change.

Georgia is laughing at people's ignorance of history.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion, instead of busting the police unions the police officers instead stop thinking of their own self interests for a bit and voluntarily start proposing their own steps to address the problem?

You know what? If not, then we are going to start REDUCING pay and benefits when the next collective bargaining sessions come around (OH MY GOSH THAT'S NOT ALLOWED!) and see how they like that because their failures have caused great damage to the society and society needs to be compensated. Take that to the NLRB.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The unions have been far from silent. And in none of their pronouncements have they expressed anything but their cocksure opinion that their blue brothers are being mistreated by the libruhl media and those damned protesters.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Indeed. You seemed certain that one could major in circus at FSU — instead of it being an extracurricular activity with a 1-credit hour PE class option.

Was just looking for a citation for your assertion.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

After watching “I Am Not Your Negro” it’s as if law enforcement was acting like the NCAA; in response to all of the killing by the whites (Sandy Hook, Columbine, Oklahoma City, etc.) the blacks get the worst of it. Really, think of all the mass murders in the last 25 yrs, how many were by blacks?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

“durrrr but whut bout black on black crime PAWWWWWWL!?”

12. DanOregon

I realize that - it's been a bit upsetting to see how out of touch the union heads are with regard to public opinon. I was truly hoping you would hear at least one union head speak in support of being part of a reform movement. The status quo cannot stand.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted