1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think that's the current policy. Basically the answer is it depends. You can get a waiver if you have a record, but in some cases waivers won't be granted or it could screw up your ability to get a job in the military with any sort of importance because you won't get clearance. I know whenever I tried to get on a Navy base, they ran my name against a database that among other things made sure I wasn't a registered sex offender.

An Arrest Record Could Keep You From Enlisting

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This is key. What is going to be built in place of what was destroyed?

Will the folks who were there before have the opportunity to rebuild?

Friday’s giveaway is not a “one-time deal,” Justin Castillo said he told volunteers. His friend, Rudolph, said he wants to help organize more efforts. Other philanthropic ideas to rebuild south Minneapolis include a possible grant program for minority-owned small businesses in the area.

Minnesota athletes, coaches turn out to fill void in ravaged south Minneapolis neighborhood

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and JakeandElwood like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Floyd mentions are the new hydrocholoquine.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Couple strands involved in the Floyd story I haven’t seen completely covered and maybe I just missed them: can we see what the counterfeit bill looked like? How easy was it to detect? Is this common (counterfeits being passed and caught.) This is the first time I’ve heard of this type of thing. I realize we probably only heard of this one because of the death.
    Also, where did Floyd get the counterfeit bill? Are there more out there somewhere? Is this being pursued by police?
    Finally, is there so little to do for police in Minneapolis that 4 policemen were readily available to respond to a call about a counterfeit $20 bill (and I haven’t seen anything that says Floyd had more than one.) and how did they get there so fast assuming Floyd wasn’t going to hang around very long after passing a counterfeit.
    I know these are relatively minor questions when it comes to the big story of Floyd’s murder, but they are still things that are background parts of the story.
    Maybe it all comes out later.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The cop who made an effort to render aid was pushed not to by the others.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  9. DanOregon

I'm stunned that an officer with as many previous complaints against him as Chauvin was a training officer. Citizens really do need to take more control over their police departments. Too often a mayor is too beholden to a police union to do anything significant.
    It seems the protests now are just happening because nobody knows what else to do.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. DanOregon

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have been wondering why the murder of Floyd has stirred such a wide reaction in the country as opposed to the other sad instances of police murder we've seen over the last decades. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that US police departments let their freak flag fly at the demonstrations and many many white civilians are seeing this not as a racial issue, which is fraught for everyone, but as a police issue. Our society has raised bodies of armed men and women who violently reject the idea that they can be held accountable for their actions and have worked to establish effective immunity for said actions. They know they are being recorded when committing violence against unarmed and in many cases unresisting demonstrators and they don't care. That cannot be tolerated in a democracy. People in authority who screw up must be brought to account, no matter who they are or how valuable the service their group renders.

Fred siegle likes this.
  12. DanOregon

I think COVID contributed to it - people are freaked out and hyperfocused on it. They don't recognize the country we've become. A lot of it is anti-Trump as well, encouraging cops to knock heads doesn't help. I do think we are headed for significant police reform this time around. The "one bad apple" defense was shot to hell by seeing the police response coast to coast.

Fred siegle, garrow and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted