1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Pro-/Anti-Holiday Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Oct 1, 2007.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Well, the calendar says October, so that can only mean one thing: Christmas is coming!!!

And how do I know this? The local paper has an article today on the fact that one of the big-name candle shops has received their stock of holiday scented candles in time for the holiday season.

Oh joy.

I would like to know if I am in the minority here or if there are others out there who are fed up with all the Christmas stuff starting this early (Oct. 1 -- or earlier!!!) or if I am on the right track to be fed up with all this stuff happening this early.

I am not big on the Christmas holiday, I will admit, and all this stuff starting *this soon* contributes to my mood and attitude.

Curious to know who agrees/disagrees.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Christmas is my favorite holiday, but I agree starting stuff this soon is ridiculous.
    At least wait until November. Hell, it is 85 degrees here today. I can't think about Christmas.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Halloween and Thanksgiving should be out of the way before Christmas comes around. I was amazed to see about three rows of tree decorations in a department store yesterday.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Christmas is probably my favorite holiday, so it doesn't bug me about the ever earlier start each year.. We do seem to be heading to a 'Christmas in July--no, really' scenario, though.

The disturbing trend I'm seeing in this area is people decorating their home exteriors/yards for Halloween now. One of the homes in our neighborhood was all decked out over the weekend.
    Look, let's keep the outdoor decorating activity to 1 holiday per year. I mean, damn, I've barely gotten around to getting the Christmas lights down by the time Halloween rolls around.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm a Hanukah type.

I'd like the first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm since the person who borrowed mine never gave it back. And I'd like a train ticket to Cal-GARY. And I'd like a sweet girl to make me 12 dozen latkes. That's all, really.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe they're advertising special Halloween scented -- you know, rotting flesh or candy corn -- candles.

I try not to get too worked up about others jumping on the Christmas bandwagon too early. Yes, it's too early. But it's also not worth getting myself in a lather about. Does it really affect the way I celebrate the holiday? No. Does it impact my day-to-day life in ways other than seeing loud displays at the grocery store? No.

I'm too worried about getting these two articles done, dinner cooked, the girls dressed and ready for dance class, myself off to the office for a desk shift and the master bedroom looking a little less like a laundry and junk mail bomb exploded in it to get bothered because there's a giant inflatable Santa on top of the junk food aisle at Costco and it's only October 1.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm a Christmas hater. I admit it. Actually, the day itself I don't mind, but being beaten over the head with Christmas for months drives me absolutely fucking nuts. By about Dec. 15, I just want to kill everyone.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Were I ever to run for office it would be on a platform that included a constitutional amendment prohibiting the broadcast of Feliz Navidad before Dec. 24 or after the 25th.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What about an amendment banning nog-induced loud singing of Henley's Boys of Summer?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Walked into Lowe's a week ago and they already had Christmas decorations out for sale in the seasonal aisle.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Can we just skip over it? Except for Xan's train ticket?

Christmas is just too much stress.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Now that's getting in the Christmas spirit... ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted