1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running preseason 2010 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Boise State is gonna fucking shafted again.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Several people I've talked to who support other SEC schools are whining that the Ole Miss "weak" schedule will allow them to start 5-0 and perhaps finish 11-1, 10-2 or 9-3 with Masoli now in the fold.
    I think we all need to just let it unfold. Injuries at any position can change any team's destiny.

I found it interesting, in the intial AP poll, that both TCU and Boise (with somewhat "weak" skeds) are rated in Top 10, plus Va. Tech is so highly touted.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Not if they win out. Starting at #5, if they win out, they'll be there in the champ game....unless two of the teams above them win out. Looking at the relative schedules of those four....if any of them were to win out, they'd have had a tougher road and deserve it above Boise.

Having said that, Florida and 'Bama will probably end up canceling themselves out (in running the table). Ohio State is a 10-2 (fanboi prediction) team. Texas?? Lots of talent, but losing enough that it'll be tough to run the table.

Really think Boise just needs to take care o' biz. IMO...

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

But Boise opens up against Virginia Tech in what is a neutral site in name only. Tech fans are going to pack the stadium in Maryland. Boise starts the year 0-1.

5. Nope.
    They are fucked.
    Look at what Boise has returning. How they are 1-2 or 3 is beyond me.
    I can understand putting Alabama No.1.
    I think an argument can be made for Ohio State. But to put Boise behind Florida and Texas? ... That pretty much represents all the major conferences save two.
    I tell you now. Boise wins out they still get fucked. Guaranteed.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

the crying is starting already? sweet.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a homer. I just looked at their schedule, cause I was interested. I can see the 5-0, because the early schedule is pretty winnable and they are all home games. Although, Colorado is no gimme. They are going to be very improved. So I'd say only four of those games, Illlinois, McNeese State, San Diego State and Miami of Ohio are fairly definite.

The problem for Missouri is that it caught a tough Big 12 schedule, with just three home games and one of them Oklahoma, which I think is going to better than a lot of people think, and definitely a better team than Missouri. I don't think Missouri is going to sneak up on anyone, because I think people actually think they are good. Last year, they snuck up on people, but they are bringing back a good chunk of the team and a lot of experience. After the first five games, Texas A&M at A&M is going to be a tough game. Coin flip. I think they should lose to Oklahoma and at Nebraska. Texas Tech at Tech will be tough. Missouri has the better team (but not by a lot), Tech will have home field. Kansas State, Iowa State and Kansas should be a easy wins. So I have the first four games, plus the last three games as wins. Which leaves 5 games that will make or break their season. Of those games, I think they should handle Colorado, A&M is a coin flip, Oklahoma and Nebraska should be losses and Texas Tech is a coin flip. 8-4 or 9-3 seems about right.

8. The Big Ragu

ACC Coastal this year is really good. Virginia Tech has to win that Boise game. VT has National Championship talent, but Miami, UNC and Georgia Tech are all top 25 caliber teams, too. Miami, in particular, has enough speed and size to be a BCS team. UNC may have the best defense in the country. In next year's NFL draft, you are going to hear 5 or 6 of their players going in the first three rounds. If they can get anything out of TJ Yates and just a little offense, they could be there, too.

Any of those four teams could go on a run and come out of the ACC undefeated. I think VT and Miami are the two best, though. Miami's big early season test is going to be at Ohio State. If they can win that and VT takes care of Boise, the VT-Miami game second-to-last-week of the season could be huge. It's at Miami.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If VT beats Boise, it should be 8-0 going into UNC-GT-Miami, in whatever order that occurs.

10. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

If Boise beats Va. Tech, it will jump over Florida and Texas ... and maybe OSU, too.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My feeling is that the winner of Boise/Va Tech, if they go undefeated, will be one of the two teams playing for the national title.
    I also think they'll be playing Ohio State, but that's just a feeling.

12. The Big Ragu

I know everyone likes Ohio State, but I just have so much trouble believing in Terrelle Pryor. I can't say why with precision. I just am counting on Ohio State to choke. It reminds me of how I didn't believe in Vince Young, until Texas had beaten USC. I might jump on the bandwagon *if* Ohio State wins in week 2 vs. Miami. Right now, though, if I am picking, I like Jacory Harris and Miami more.

Draft saved Draft deleted