1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running preseason 2010 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Then I'll stick to my assertion that the Big Ten is inferior.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Urban agrees 100 percent. That's why he scheduled App State instead of The Citadel this fall.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't remember the date, but the SEC/Ohio Valley Conference challenge Saturday should be entertaining, but only if you like blowout wins by SEC powers over the likes of Jacksonville State and Tennessee Tech.
    Having a I-AA team on your schedule should be* an automatic disqualifier for the national championship.
    * Some schools have state legislature mandated games against I-AA teams, and that needs to be taken into account.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

With a 12-game schedule, I have no problem with one game against a FCS school. It's an easy win for the big boys (usually), it gives their reserves some playing time and the money is critically important for the FCS teams.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funny that Vanderbilt is the only SEC school that is not playing an FCS school this year.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I see ESPN is doing a "50 most painful losses in college football history." Without looking, I'll peg Michigan-App State at No. 3 and Michigan-Colorado at No. 6.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to mention that it's damn hard to find four fellow I-A teams that don't have conference games on the same weekend you do.

I get so sick of having this argument. Why can't people just accept that athletic department budgets depend on the revenue generated by having seven home games every year? It's got little to do with playing not to lose.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Stewart Mandel says Houston Nutt is a "certifiably dirty coach."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/08/02/masoli-nutt/index.html

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, there's no guarantee that going undefeated gets you a shot in the championship game (see Auburn, 2004 or Boise State, 2009).

If people think Ohio State is suspect, they will be ranked accordingly. However, if you can go undefeated in the Big Ten, it would be hard to be considered a cream-puff.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Boo-fucking-hoo. Need a tissue, Mandel?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sonner, this is not a knock, but when I read your post, I thought to myself that any sports journalist who would react with "Boo-fucking-hoo. Need a tissue, Mandel?" is:

1. an Ole Miss fan.
    2. someone who doesn't like Mandel or has an issue with him.
    3. a Houston Nutt fan.
    4. a Masoli fan.
    5. all of the above.

Am I close? If not, what exactly prompted your reaction? I consider it a bit of an outlier in my experience with other sportswriters. You come off as emotionally invested somehow. If not, do you mind explaining your response?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

None of the above. And actually, I'm a big Mandel fan. Enjoy his mailbags during the season, etc...

I just thought that column was unnecessary.

Also, for clarification, I'm not a sports writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted