1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running preseason 2010 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Gosh, thanks for the quality contribution.....

2. How does he get to play immediately?
    I thought you had to sit out a year.

3. mb

mb Active Member

If you're enrolling in grad school, you don't have to sit. Rule has been used a few times. First heard of it when somebody followed Meyer from Utah to Florida, IIRC.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

OK, let me add to it. I find it attrocious that just because a team is undefeated, playing in a clearly inferior conference, it waltzes into the BCS title game. It happened with OSU losing big to Florida in 07 and then the following year in 08 to LSU.

I guess you could say that I'm all about a bracket-style tournament for college football, but as we all know, I'm wasting my breath. I do, however, think Pryor has turned a big corner and will have a good year.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the Big 10 - as a conference in 2010 - is "clearly inferior" based on what exactly?

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

He will have the most cake non-conference schedule to learn the offense before SEC play. He'll be ready to go by the time the Johnny Rebs get to the SEC slate. One of their early games is...wait for it...wait for it...Tulane. Archie Manning at his age now hopping on one leg could crest the Green Wave. Worst team in football. Masoli will learn the offense and be ready to go. The Rebs won't take the division title, but as stated earlier, they will play a major role in who does. With Masoli and that defense, they're as talented as Auburn, LSU and Arkansas and could give 'Bama a run for its money.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

From the Clarion-Ledger story"

"He has applied to enter the Parks and Recreation graduate program at Ole Miss, but hasn't been accepted as of Sunday evening. The NCAA also has to waive a one-year residency requirement, which is usually granted if the athlete chooses a graduate program not offered at his previous school."

Seems a little odd that Oregon, of all places, would not have a Parks and Recreation graduate program.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We should have a good idea after the opening game against UCONN. UCONN certainly isn't a college football power, but a decent program that Michigan should beat if they expect to be anywhere near 8-4 this season (which I think we can all agree is the safety zone for Rich Rod, maybe 7-5).

If Michigan loses to UCONN, Rich Rod is all but done in Michigan, if they win big then the program might be back. Anywhere in between and I think we will all be confused until the defense collapses and allows 45 points against Purdue or Illinois.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Because Iowa, Ohio State and Penn State all finished on such a sour note last year going 3-0 and finishing in the top 12 or something. And I don't care what anyone says, Northwestern losing by 3 to an SEC is a moral victory. Even if they did blow the Outback bowl on nine separate occassions last year.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kiffin can/can't do with the Trojans. Naturally, I hope he shits the bed; but the fact is (sorry, Zags!) he DID improve the Vols dramatically on the field, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his chip-on-the-shoulder squad tighten up and play well in the Pac 10.

Except, of course, papa Kiffin's D can't defend against the spread. So all in all, it could be a fun trainwreck to watch.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You're going to base it on three bowl games and three teams finishing in the top 12? Fair enough. But how about the year before last, when the Big Ten went 1-6 in bowls and its top-ranked team was Penn State at No. 8 and Ohio State at No. 9.

Because of an automatic bid, of course the Big Ten is going to have high-ranked teams. Because Cincinnati finished No. 8, one ahead of Penn State, in the AP final poll, does that mean the Big East is formidable after getting routed by Florida.

I'm merely stating that just because a Big Ten team beats up on its own conference, it doesn't deserve an automatic shot at the BCS title game. Look at OSU's non-league schedule this year. Ohio, Marshall, Eastern Michigan and Miami. One tough game. For Iowa, it's Eastern Illinois, Iowa State and Arizona. If they want to earn that spot in the title game, schedule tougher teams.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Under that fucking logic nobody deserves a BCS championship game spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted