1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running preseason 2010 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you're wondering why the Big 12 wants no part of TCU as a member...

TCU, which is coming off of one of its greatest seasons in school history will open its season Saturday night against Oregon State at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. This is the second year JerryWorld has hosted a college football game on Labor Day weekend.

BYU beat Oklahoma in last year's game in front of more than 75,000 fans and the game was sold out months in advance of the contest.

As of yesterday a total of 22,000 tickets had been sold for Saturday's game. TCU, which is 13 miles from Cowboys Stadium has sold 8,000. Oregon State, which is 2,000 miles from Cowboys Stadium, managed to sell 4,000 seats.

Sales have been so slow that stadium officials made the decision weeks ago to close off the upper bowl of the facility to make the crowd look better on TV.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Ole Miss was already screwed on its quarterback situation when Raymond Cotten left the team in July, which is why they were so aggressive in going after Masoli in the first place. They anticipated that the NCAA would grant Masoli's waiver based on the fact that they had done so in every previous case similar to his.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard they are charging $50 for the lowest price seats at the Oregon State - TCU game. I'm hoping the lack of enthusiasm in Texas translates on the field. I understand OSU isn't a "big sexy" like USC or Georgia - but I'm sure tickets are higher and more scarce when Texas opens against the weakling of the week. And hell, it's not like TCU doesn't have well-heeled alums or they have to travel very far. Next time they demand "respect" maybe they should ask their fans first before crying to the media.

Oh yeah - TIME TO LOCK THIS THREAD NOW. DING, DING!

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I heard that same dude today on Bill King's radio show.
    He had some solid info to share on at least 3 cases where the players got into trouble and were "booted" from a program, then went to another one and played immediately.
    All were similar situations to Masoli's.
    Be consistent, assholes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cotton wasn't going to start this year anyway, not coming off a torn labrum. What really screwed them from a numbers standpoint was Snead leaving for the NFL when he had no business doing so.

As for the Masoli case, the NCAA ruled the way we always wish they would, which was in the SPIRIT of the rules. They've almost always ruled within the LETTER of the rules (think of the Boise State prospect's funeral), which is why they're so hated.

I think it's a good precedent to not allow Masoli to be rewarded for his thuggery by using a loophole to keep playing. But he did everything he was supposed to within the rules, which is usually the only thing the NCAA cares about, and that's why this ruling is so mind-boggling.

By the way, Alabama's Marcell Dareus gets a two-game suspension and has to repay $1787 for his role in the Miami agent party scandal, which means he'll miss the Penn State game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5525330&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Seems like a fair ruling. He should have known better.

6. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Blowout win over Jacksonville State? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted