1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running PGA TOUR 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by golfnut8924, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Playthrough has nailed it. The purpose of the Tour before April is to show beautiful pictures of golf courses on TV to all us golfers in the more climatically-challenged parts of the country under snow and ice. That's pretty much also why the Masters always is the highest-rated major. It still sucks to go out and play golf in New England in early April, and New England is not alone there.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Exactly why I migrated south a couple years ago. Thinking about hitting a bucket of balls this afternoon actually....

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Tiger and Phil both committed to playing next week's tournament.

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2011/01/19/woods-mickelson-commit-to-farmers/

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This one?

[​IMG]

That's Sawgrass, not Scottsdale.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Nope. I was talking about the stadium course at scottsdale. 16th hole is the par 3 that is fully enclosed (players actually have to walk through a football-like tunnel to get to the tee). Crowd is nuts -- even during their swings.

The sawgrass hole is cool but shouldn't be a part of the playoff there, as was the case when Sergio won over Goydos there.

Here's a video of the ace Tiger made at scottsdale. You can see the beer cans being thrown onto the tee box in the background near the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Then why to they play about 12 times before Augusta?
    I swear, some of you people (and the establishment golf media) don't think anything counts except the four majors and the Ryder Cup. But if it wasn't for the major professional tours (U.S., Europe, Australia, Japan, South Africa) where would the inventory come from in the form of players for those four majors? It would be like back in the 1920s: a bunch of insurance salesmen and lawyers playing as amateurs and a few club pros.

7. Quite honestly, I'm not real interested in four rounds of golf unless it IS a major.
    Pebble Beach is beautiful, but it's a fucking pro-am and Bill Murrary's schtick got old a decade ago.
    Play the Open there and I am glued to the TV.
    I don't care about the inventory of players. I'm not interested in a bunch of no-names, lurkers has-beens winning winter golf trophies. Esp. when the first major of the season is four months away!

I also watch a good bit LPGA golf.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you believe that every time you turn on a major, you're somehow entitled to have Tiger, Phil, Ernie and Sergio going down to the wire. Should Shaun Micheel, Ben Curtis, Louis Oosthuizen, Todd Hamilton and Zach Johnson forfeit their majors because they weren't worthy, in your eyes?

And if golf was nothing but the majors, it would still be a niche sport ... something on the order of badminton or quoits.

Draft saved Draft deleted