1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running PGA TOUR 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by golfnut8924, Dec 30, 2010.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Throughout Tiger's dominant career, he has averaged about one major win per year (14 majors in roughly 14 seasons; missed a couple majors with surgery). So now at age 35, he would need to continue this dominant pace of one per year to eclipse Jack's record by age 40. After age 40, history is not on his side. Only a very small handful of majors have been won by a 40-something. Watson won his last major at 33, Palmer won his last at 34. Jack only won 4 majors after the age of 36, and one of those was the miracle Masters win at age 46. That much said, Tiger is a fitness freak so his "golf clock" may tick a little longer than others. But it is certainly ticking.

Several reasons why his dominant pace might slip a little though...

1.) He's in great shape, but let's face it -- that knee is not getting any healthier. He will likely need more minor procedures on it in the coming years as well.

2.) He doesn't practice as much as he used to. This is something he has admitted several times because he says his kids are his number one priority and that he no longer practices as much anymore as he did prior to having kids. With his home life being a wreck, he will have to go to greater lengths to see his kids, meaning possibly even less practice time.

3.) He has a new coach, and thus, new swing changes. His past coaching and/or swing changes have been followed by a dry spell (and that also being said, those dry spells were often followed by hot streaks after the adjustments settled in). But given how wild he was in 2010, he has some work to do.

4.) Pro golf is probably deeper now than it has ever been in his career. Top to bottom, the fields are stronger than they were 10 years ago so Tiger has more competition.

5.) Augusta isn't the same for him. After he won 3 out of 6 Masters from '97 to '02, it was anybody's guess as to how many jackets he might get. But he's won just 1 out of 8 ever since.

So if he were to break the record before hitting that unfavorable age of 40, he would have to continue the same dominant pace that he has been on his entire career. And, as laid out above, I think there's plenty of reason to believe he will slip from that pace a bit. Afterall, if he doesn't win at Augusta this year, it will be THREE full years since his last major win (2008 US) and will be just 2 for his last 15.

Many people predict he will have a monster season this year because he "has a chip on his shoulder," "the weight of his guilt is off his chest," "his distractions are behind him," etc. But remember, many people were saying the exact same thing last year and he ended up with his worst season as a pro.

I think he will win majors again because he's just too damned talented and puts himself in contention too often (despite a terrible 2010, he still made noise in 2 majors). I just don't see him notching 5 more. But ........ who knows? If anyone can pull off a big charge on the downhill side of their career, it's him. I don't think he'll get the record but I won't die of shock if he does.

2. Tiger's knee injury and other physicla ailments may also work against him in terms of the clock.
    Johnny Miller has stated more than once he thinks the lingering injuries and training could actually shorten Tiger's window.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Golf Channel will be doing a 10-part series about Mark Burk, a pro golfer who is homeless and trying to make a comeback. First episode is Jan. 11. Show is called "Pipe Dream."

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-insider/golf-channel-chronicles-downtrodden-pro-mark-burk-series-40673/

http://markburk.com/

He is mired in legal battles with ex-girlfriend and supermodel Beverly Johnson. She claims domestic violence. He claims slander. Might be an interesting show. I'm curious to see how he is portrayed.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Hello friends. Jim Nantz will narrate your Tiger Woods video game
    Augusta National Golf Club and EA Sports announced a deal today to feature the famed golf course in the video game, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters. But buried in the fine print of the announcement was a nugget for sports TV watchers. Jim Nantz, CBS' longtime "Voice of the Masters," and golf analyst David Feherty, will narrate the game which goes on sale March 29. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/01/hello-friends-jim-nantz-will-narrate-your-bid-for-a-masters-green-jacket/1

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

This is badass. It's about time they got Augusta into the game. Wasn't sure if that would ever happen. Can't wait to see it.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

I'd be absolutely shocked if Tiger doesn't break Jack's record. I don't think he's going to shatter it, but he's going to pass him.

If Kenny Perry can go to the 72nd hole with the lead at Augusta at age 48, Tiger can do it several more times. As someone else said, his game looked lost last year, and he still almost won two majors.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think I had ever wished for an XBox until today. Wow.

Kinda hard to believe that Augusta National officials would let the EA Sports folks trample around the course for 10 days to map out the place, but they are also pretty sneaky smart. They know this game will be enormous.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, the season is far too long and it's really hard to work up a lot of enthusiasm with four feet of snow on the ground outside my front door.

9. Do what I do .. Ignore PGA golf until a week or two before the first major. Everything prior to that pretty much sucks anyway.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Meh. There are a couple of decent events out West -- Riviera, Torrey Pines ... the Bob Hope just for weird five-round event. Plus Doral is before Augusta.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Personally, I think the match play championship in Arizona in February is one of the best non-major events they play all year.

Plus you have Pebble Beach a couple weeks before that -- not a great tournament but worth watching for the views (of the course, not of Chris Berman's embarrassing antics).

Just prior to that you have TPC Scottsdale with the famed (or novelty or gimmicky depending on your opinion) stadium par-3 hole.

Cosmo mentioned Torrey, Riviera and Doral. Then there's also PGA National and Arnie's event at Bay Hill.

So there's some pretty good golf before the Masters. Much better than the golf that's at the tail end of the year after the PGA Championship.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Kapalua and Pebble Beach, especially in HD, are completely unwatchable.

Draft saved Draft deleted