1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running PGA TOUR 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by golfnut8924, Dec 30, 2010.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The season kicks off a week from today and today is Tiger's birthday so I thought it would be a good time to get this one going.

In terms of Jack's record, I think this could be a do-or-die year for Tiger. He turned 35 today and he can't afford to have too many winless major seasons at this stage if he's going to knock the record down. Clock is ticking.

I think the popular bet for a first-time major winner this year is Westwood or Dustin Johnson. Will be interesting to see how Westwood responds to his #1 ranking.

Lefty turned 40 last year and is battling health issues. He is also the defending champ at Augusta. How much does he have left in the tank?

Ty Tryon earned some status on the Nationwide this year via Q-School (and made the cut at the US Open last year) after years of mini tour obscurity. Would be a hell of a story if he were to work his way back to the PGA.

Some good fresh faces coming up to the PGA this year full-time (some for the first time and some getting back again) --- Jamie Lovemark, Tommy Gainey, Chris Kirk, Colt Knost to name a few.

There's only so much to talk about until things actually get underway but I thought I'd toss some nuggets out there to get the ball rolling.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Given two choices, which is more likely:

No. 1: Tiger never wins another major

No. 2: Tiger tops Nicklaus' record.

(I go with No. 1)

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

My prediction is neither of those. I think he will win again but I don't think he will win 5 more (or even 4 more to tie the mark).

But if I had to pick only one then yes I would agree with you. I think it's more likely that he doesn't win again than it is that he wins another 5.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A kid I know slightly made the final stage of Q-School and it just dawned on me I have no idea how he did.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

http://www.pgatour.com/qschool/leaderboard/

That has all the final tallies. Final positioning determines various status on PGA and Nationwide.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

No. 2. One thing I've learned it to never underestimate that guy. I know he's never had a year like he did in 2010 but how many times have people said he was slipping only to come back stronger than ever?

7. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Nicklaus won the Masters and and the PGA at the age of 35 and four majors thereafter. If Tiger wins two majors this year, that will be a helluva comeback.

I still can't believe how ignorant--he's just not that stupid, or stupid at all for that matter--I say, I can't believe how ignorant Tiger was about handling his extra-curricular affairs. Everybody around him must have been frightened of him. Greek tragedy on a small, sordid scale; ego run amuck.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does it seem like the offseason lasted about 10 minutes?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The only health issues Phil is facing is being able to drive past a Five Guys or not.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

and Tiger is in far better physical shape than Nicklaus ever was. not sure if it's stupidity as much as arrogance. i remember this board the night of the accident. some were saying no big deal, only a few minor sponsors will drop him. i'm actually more surprised that his wife went through with the divorce. i would bet many more wives of athletes put up with cheating.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In one of the worst ball-striking years of his career, Tiger strongly contended at Augusta and was a player in the U.S. Open as well. If his putting comes back around, I see him easily catching Nicklaus' record. If it doesn't, I could still see him doing it, but it will be a close shave.

12. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I could definitely see Tiger picking up a major or two if his putting picks up. Wouldn't be surprised if his putting is still problematic, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted