1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jan 22, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Little surprised the Reader making the cut.
    But it again proves that the Academy has a hard-on for Holocaust dramas.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Forget it. Weinstein will make sure Winslet wins.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some movies/artists got shafted.

How Adam Sandler wasn't recognized for his sensitive, nuanced performance as Zohan in You Don't Mess With The Zohan is beyond me.

Directors? M. Night Shamalamadingdong suffers in long periods of silent reflection for his slight for The Happening.

Love Guru? Hel-lo? [MichaelMyersvoice]

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yeah, but I couldn't watch Brolin in Milk without seeing him as a possibly closeted W.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Probably, but it's so cliche.... she was on Extras with Ricky Gervais saying a Holocaust film would be her only way to win an Oscar... so here she goes.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Brolin was more Dan White than Penn was Milk... and that is saying a shitload.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I thought it was a damn good year in movies, especially compared to, say, 2005 or 2006.

Like 2007, it came on strong at the end.

Slumdog Millionare will emerge as the top dog with the most awards, mostly because, quite frankly, everyone loves a cute, quirky, feel-good Bollywood film.

Don't like The Reader up for Best Picture, but there are very few other complaints I have.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Slum won't sweep. You can see they didn't throw money around like confetti (that's fine, but there's no excuse for the muddy color) . . . and the product isn't head-and-shoulders above the field. Fully expect the thing to win Best Picture, but they aren't going 10-for-10.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What do you make of Wall-E being nominated for its screenplay?

10. Simon_Cowbell

I thought the color of Slumdog was vibrant... among the most impressive aspects of the picture.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it but I'll go just to see Lena Olin.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Colorwise, the potential was there -- but it sure didn't come through in the print to which I was exposed. Would be curious to hear the viewpoints of others who have seen it. I fear how the thing will look, years from now. The tragedy of the unstable
    stock upon which Tom Jones was filmed is an enduring object lesson, in this area.

Draft saved Draft deleted