1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Oscars Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

FYI...The Reader got its noms because The Weinstein Company kills itself to rack up nominations. It sends out more viewer tapes than any company on the planet.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, the million to one shot is probably Melissa Leo as Best Actress for Frozen River. a film that received universally great reviews but I'd be surprised if it grossed more than $1,000

I think it opened on one screen here In Toronto and lasted perhaps two weekends.

Melissa Leo is best known as Kay Howard from Homicide but has done dozens and dozens of films.

HC has it on her Zip (Canuck Netflix) list.

3. [​IMG]

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If The Reader wasn't repped by the Weinstein Co., she'd have a real chance.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Story I just remembered. A few months ago I was in a drugstore looking at diaper cream when this slob in a wife-beater t-shirt and flip flops passes behind me shouting obnoxiously into his cell phone.

I was attempting to give him a dirty look when I heard him say, "Yeah sure we can screen it at my house." It was Harvey Weinstein.

Being the Entourage devotee that I am, I just started laughing because the portrayal really isn't over-the-top.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No love for Pineapple Express?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, he's an ass. A real piece of work. Read Down and Dirty Pictures sometimes.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not at all.

And Button has zero chance in cinematography over Slumdog.

Less than zero.

9. Simon_Cowbell

My dark horse pick: Leo over Winslet... no Revolutionary Road pun intended

10. Only three Best Songs?
    That's going to make the show run more smoothly, anyway.
    If there's a god in heaven, Martin McDonagh will win the screenplay deal.
    I was happy to see Josh Brolin get nominated for Milk. He really had a fine year.
    As to the rest, while I haven't seen Button, Doubt, or Slumdog yet, I'm not as down on the year as Alma, and Man On Wire is the best movie I saw all year.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Comes off as a stunt. He has no shot. (Downey, that is)

12. Simon_Cowbell

They should have Petit wire walk an envelope to the stage.

Draft saved Draft deleted