1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by Doug.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Made me wonder if he was on the juice when he got so buff about 8-10 years ago.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

He was a bit dumpy when he shot 59 and played so well that year. Maybe his swing is better when he has a fat ass.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Puhleeze.

Hate to break it to you, spinner, but they gave out Claret Jugs before Tiger was born.

Just an educated guess, but I'm guessing they'll be giving them out after he, Elin and their four kids are living on their private island.

The winner of this Open has nothing to apologize for.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

6. TwoGloves

I agree with Hawkins. If they can call it the "U.S. Masters" and "U.S. PGA" we can call it the British Open.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/columnists/2008/07/gw20080718angrygolfer

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thanks for the assist, D-3, but just as an FYI, the PGA Trophy and Wanamaker Trophy are one and the same.

You're thinking of the U.S. Open Championship Cup.

8. TwoGloves

According to this guy, Tiger is not only indeed bigger than the game but he has a "paunch" as well.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/couch/1062454,CST-SPT-greg18.article

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

much more impressive

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And people wonder why we are termed the toy department?

11. TwoGloves

Especially considering Nicklaus was still a semi-regular when he won the Masters. He played 15 events in '86 and 74 combined in the previous five season before he won the Masters. Norman, on the other hand, is playing in his his fourth event this year and has played 17 in the previous five years combined. It's not even close.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I didn't say he did. You're totally missing the point.

First of all, Norman's not winning. But if he did, come on. These other guys have a chance to pocket a major with Tiger out of the field, and they let a 53-year old who doesn't even play golf any more win the British Open? If that happens, they're gutless pukes. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Draft saved Draft deleted