1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Boognish

Boognish Member

It's early. Actually, it's late. Whatever. Right now, Norman is alone in the lead at 1 under through nine holes. Three birdies and a double bogey.

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Villegas just rolled in his fourth straight birdie to post 65 - four shots better than anyone else this morning.

Norman looks like he's butchering the 17th. Still, though, it has to have been a pretty great ride today for the Shark. I for one wouldn't mind seeing him in the final group tomorrow. Maybe we can see him lose one last playoff.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Greg fucking Norman. He can show a whole new generation of kids how to choke away a major.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Since I'm inside and ironically my office is having a mini-golf tourney in the building, I've been listening to Open radio on-line all morning, anchored by the Brits.

I must say that I have been very impressed on how much information they provide and the great insights.

One thing that stood out listening to the broadcast: after one of the U.S. golfers teed off on the 3rd(?), some jackass hollered "GET IN THE HOLE!" The British reporter: "There's the tee shot, with a silly man saying "Get in the hole."

That made my day. :)

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Greg Norman, Rocco Mediate, David Duval...what is this? Throwback Friday? Fuckin' Curtis Strange gonna' make a run too?

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Would Norman winning a major at age 53 be more or as impressive as Jack's 1986 Masters win?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yes, but it would also prove how crappy the field is beyond Tiger.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

53 is a lot different than 46, at least in golf years. This would be way more impressive. Good for the Shark--I'll be pulling for him.

Choi and Villegas appear ready to play the young assassins role, though.

I'm sure the English tabloids are loving the Evert angle as well.

And then there's the outside chance you could have it come down to Norman, Duval, Van de Velde on Sunday's back nine and witness an epic golfing choke/collapse that could never be matched.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, Duval looks like he's put on a lot of weight.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look out for Choi if he's got the lead on Sun. and coming to 18, I bet he loves that hole because yesterday he played it perfectly off the tee then smoked his approach but missed the 10 footer for birdie; today he birdies it to get the lead. He loves the fade and the 18 fits his eye.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

oh, please. There are plenty of top quality professional golfers there, a lot with major championship wins under their belt. Just because Tiger isn't there doesn't invalidate the tournament--for whoever wins. To think so is just weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted