1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Jul 17, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm sure the Beemer will find something to do.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Did Beem take a cue from Mark Calcavecchia who stopped after 9 holes at the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines?

4. Claws for Concern

If the conditions continue, how does everyone feel about a major winner finishing +10?

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

How about Mr. Chris Evert shooting a nifty 70?

Unless the wind keeps up, I don't think we're going to see a +10 winner.

Els posts a less-than-nifty 80. My SportsJournalists.com fantasy team just took one in the groin.

6. Claws for Concern

I don't think it will be +10 either, but I do hope the winner is under par. That said, congrats to Rocco and to Norman.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I just want to know if Hooters is a tournament sponsor ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I love the Open Championship if only because it lets nature dictate things. No rain, it's brown and caked. Lots of rain. The rough and heather grow like crazy. Play the conditions. The R&A doesn't care if it's 10 under or 10 under. Fine by me.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Likewise.

The courses can play different from hour to hour. It's almost a cliche', but it tests every element of your game. It's not a driving and putting contest like the Masters and it's not (most of the time) a meat-grinder like the U.S. Open.

And that's fun to watch.

My Sunday morning routine is get up, put on coffee, then come downstairs and watch the final round. There's few scenes in golf like the champion walking up the 18th fairway and the fans and marshals scurrying behind.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Top to bottom, and as much as I love Sunday at Augusta, this is my favorite major.

I love how big a factor the weather is, I love the pot bunkers and I love just how natural British Open courses are. The whole thing just feels so much more authentic to me, whatever that means.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Should Rocco record another top 10 in a Major I don't have any idea how you don't put him on the Ryder Cup team.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Anybody think there's any chance whatsoever that Norman will stay in the hunt?

Draft saved Draft deleted