1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running of the Bulls - Pamplona

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 9, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In Woody Paige's version of this story, Pablo tells him, "iffen you run with me, you no die."

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bravo to you both.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In Mitch Albom's version of this story, the bulls are actually in Barcelona.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Done. Watched from a balcony during the first day of the run (that was after nearly suffocating to death with my GF during the opening ceremony) and ran the second day (last Friday). Saying I ran though is being nice - I ran very near the wall, nowhere near the bulls. Me and the group of people around me jogged, and then sprinted, as the herd approached. The bulls flew past (lord they're fast) and my part was over in about 15 seconds, 5 of which were spent in any kind of vicinity of bulls.

Overall, it was an awesome trip!

5. YankeeFan

It's fucking unbelievable, isn't it?

Did you get to the Bull Ring?

6. Rusty Shackleford

I didn't run to the bullring, but I saw a bullfight there the first night, after our balcony viewing. I watched on TV one morning in Barcelona the people running around in the bullring right after the running. Looked like pure chaos.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Cool. Good for you.

(I will say bullfighting is about the biggest piece of douchebaggery on the face of the planet. Yeah, let's stab this bull in the neck until he can hardly stand, torment him some more, and if he happens to take out the dude in the flashy tight pants, we'll just bring out someone else to kill him!)

8. Rusty Shackleford

Yeah, it was a brutal spectacle. I wouldn't mind at all if it were banned worldwide. I won't lie - it was interesting to watch, unlike anything I've ever seen. But it was gross, and I certainly would not go to another.

9. YankeeFan

An American who co-wrote a book called "How to Survive the Running of the Bulls" was badly gored on Wednesday in the morning bull run at Pamplona's San Fermin festival.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-man-gored-20140709,0,724413.story

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Esquire Network is airing live coverage each night at 2 a.m.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's ironic in an Alanis Morissette kind of way.

12. YankeeFan

Just set the DVR.

The year I did it, the Outdoor Network carried it, and I was able to tape my run when it was repeated. The announcing is hysterical, in an unintended kind of way.

I was able to spot the guys I ran with, because they/we had mullet wigs, and striped rugby shirts -- and one of them was interviewed in the bull ring -- but I did not spot myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted