1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running North Korea freakout thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

John Bolton on NK: "Regime change"

Donald J. Trump on NK: "I will guarantee Kim's safety against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Rest of world to U.S.: "Get your sh*t together"

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He also called China's Xi a "world class poker player."

Too late to add Doyle Brunson to the team?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was when he was implying that the second time Kim visited China, Xi poisoned him, and that is when Kim's "attitude" changed. He might actually be right.

BTW, I think President Orange Monty Hall fancies himself a "world-class poker player" too. After he called Xi a world-class power player he said, "and I probably maybe would be doing the same thing that he would do."

You know, because those stable geniuses who make "deals" (Deals!) all play with the same loaded decks.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

He really does think he's the Godfather now. Calling a meeting of the Families ...

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Big news, obviously. A few thoughts:

– It's hard to know how much of this, if any, is part of Trump's reality-show approach to governing. This might end up being the pre-Act Break cliffhanger to keep people tuning in. ("Coming up after the break, the most dramatic rose ceremony yet, live from Singapore!")

– My biggest concern is that Trump's return to the "my button is bigger than your button" rhetoric ("our nuclear capabilities... are so massive and powerful") will send us to a worse place than we were before all of this summit talk, especially with John Bolton on hand. If you feel like – or you fear it looks like – your outstretched hand was slapped away, then a logical response is to go back stronger in the other direction. Trump's already tried the tough talk. The "bloody nose" strike may well be next.

– Reports are that NK calling Pence a "political dummy" set Trump off. That actually surprises me a bit, in that Trump has rarely seemed to care about a insult to anyone besides himself or his family. I would guess NK might be a bit surprised too, since last week they ripped Bolton by name and Trump basically took NK's side and walked back what Bolton said. They may have figured they'd try the same with Pence.

– Sorry, but I chuckled at the phrase "political dummy."

– Pence had pretty much explicitly said on Fox News that if Kim didn't make a deal, that he'd end up like Gadhafi – deposed and dead. One should have expected pushback on that. Why would (or should) NK show up at a summit if that's the opening American position? ("You have two options: 1) Take our deal; 2) Die")

– Trump and Pompeo (especially) seem to want to keep the door open, though, so this isn't necessarily over. But look at it from Kim's perspective; how does one even know where Trump and his admin stands? They've said several different things just in the last week. Trump says it's not like Libya, but he was confusing Libya 2011 (Gadhafi overthrown) with Libya 2003 (Gadhafi gives up his nascent nuke program). He says he'll guarantee Kim's safety, but also seemed to say in the same conversation that if there isn't a deal, he'll take him out. Then Pence says the latter explicitly, which may or not be what Trump thinks/wants (if he even knows), and then when NK rips Pence, Trump takes his ball and goes home. Maybe it's chess, sure. But does that seem the most likely scenario?

– I feel bad for Moon and the South Koreans for being caught between Kim and Trump.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you are missing one. ... The orange Monty Hall fancies himself a deal maker. Trade, China and North Korea are all tied together in his mind. It's why as a prelude to this, he threw out Xi poisoning Kim when they met. I would not be surprised if the tariff talk, hostility toward China (and watch him back off the ZTE thing now) start all over again. And at the end of the day, I also won't be surprised when Kim has dozens of nuclear warheads pointed at Seoul and China is still playing him for a fool, while it turns to the rest of the world and presents itself as the superpower willing to lead everyone else on trade, global warming, etc.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

We are so fucked.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump just laid down the law to NK.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Daffy just laid down the law to Bugs

11. YankeeFan