1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Week XVI thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Packers kick in a field goal with 1:34 left:
    Vikings 7, Packers 9

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah. People watch car wrecks, too. What's your point.

The Giants can get into the playoffs with a 7-9 record. 7-9! That's what Taglibue's mandated-mediocrity has inspired. Teams don't actually have to be good to get into the playoffs anymore. They just have to suck less than the worst teams. Fourteen teams are still alive for playoff berths or have not clinched playoff spots. Six of those teams have records of .500 or worse.

Look at the standings!

East W L T Pct
    New England 10 4 0 .714
    NY Jets 8 6 0 .571
    Buffalo 7 7 0 .500
    Miami 6 8 0 .429

North W L T Pct
    y-Baltimore 11 3 0 .786
    Cincinnati 8 6 0 .571
    Pittsburgh 7 7 0 .500
    Cleveland 4 10 0 .286

South W L T Pct
    y-Indianapolis 11 3 0 .786
    Jacksonville 8 6 0 .571
    Tennessee 7 7 0 .500
    Houston 4 10 0 .286

West W L T Pct
    y-San Diego 12 2 0 .857
    Denver 8 6 0 .571 1
    Kansas City 7 7 0 .500
    Oakland 2 12 0 .143

NFC
    East W L T Pct
    x-Dallas 9 5 0 .643
    Philadelphia 8 6 0 .571
    NY Giants 7 7 0 .500
    Washington 5 9 0 .357

North W L T Pct
    z-Chicago 12 2 0 .857
    Green Bay 6 8 0
    Minnesota 6 8 0 .429
    Detroit 2 12 0 .143

South W L T Pct
    y-New Orleans 9 5 0
    Atlanta 7 7 0 .500
    Carolina 6 8 0 .429
    Tampa Bay 3 11 0 .214

West W L T Pct
    Seattle 8 6 0 .571
    San Francisco 6 8 0 .429
    St. Louis 6 8 0 .429
    Arizona 4 10 0 .286

x-Clinched Playoff Spot; y-Division Champ; z-Clinched Home Field

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Vikings can't convert the 4th and 5. Packers win.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

You sure do invest a lot of time in a league you can't stand, hb. Very productive.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

First of all, where did I say I couldn't stand the league? You won't find a single post of mine that says that. I said I couldn't stand the Taglibue-inspired mediocrity. Those aren't the same things. You may want to invest in reading comprehension classes.

Two, you don't know what I do in a given day or a given week, so you probably shouldn't comment on my productivity or anyone elses. To paraphrase a wise man, "Many people may think you foolish if you say nothing. Many people will know you're foolish if you say something."

Have a nice holiday.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

And Merry Christmas to you.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I like hockey, so don't take this the wrong way.. but half of the NHL gets into the playoffs. Yes, as of right now, 14 teams league wide are in contention.. but only 12 are going to get in. Lots of teams have hope.. and most of them will have tee times come January.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I hate hockey, so take this whatever way you wish. That sport's bloated season accomplishes absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing.

They could go on strike for all but 20 games, and the results would be no different.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Apples and oranges, my man. 16 teams get into the NHL and NBA post-seasons. Last season, all of the NHL playoff teams finished with records over .500 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/standings?year=season_2005). The NBA only had one team under .500 make the playoffs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings?year=season_2005).

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dye, hockey fans could not care less whether you like hockey, hate it or grow hair on your balls.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

And last year the Chiefs finished 10-6 and didn't make the playoffs. The point is, the NFL postseason is a shit-ton harder to make than the NHL's.. and it always will be.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Whoa! All of the NHL teams in the playoffs were over .500! Cause celebre!

What about the year before? Oh, that's right, the league didn't play a single game. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted