1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Week 6 Thread - Cowboys-Pats hype!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Ha! I'd love to see it, but ya know, there's still a LONG way to go and we've got miles to go before we sleep.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Something about Romo.

The story about him in SI a few months ago really endeared him to me even more. Just a great guy. He deserves everything he's worked for.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Apparently shortly after the Bears game he learned his father has prostate cancer, so there's something more that will endure him to America should they in fact win the SB. He did it for dad.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think the strength of schedule stuff is overrated also -- you gotta play who they put on the schedule, this isn't college. That said, I think NE has shown in recent years that they're a fairly dominant team. Factor in all of the additions this year and the way they've dismantled opponents and it's tough to question them. Dallas has certainly looked impressive for the most part this year, but they've got a new coach and a young QB who (without looking it up) seems to have as many bad starts as good ones in his short time as a starter and it's not like it's a team that's proven itself as a serious contender in recent years, so it's natural for people to be a little bit more skeptical of their record.

The beauty is games like this weekend's where the Cowboys get a chance to prove themselves. If they win, or even keep it close, they'll look much more legit. If they get run off the field, everyone will say they might be 5-1 but all they've done is beat up on bad teams and get rolled by the only real team they've played.

5. Songbird

Why would Testaverde be starting the game? Is Officer Tom Brady hurt?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Testaverde got cut by the Patriots in the preseason. He was unemployed until signed this week by the Panthers, who have Delhomme out for the season (elbow surgery) and Carr probably out for this week (sore back). So Vinny might have gone from unemployed to NFL starter in less than 48 hours.

7. Songbird

Oh, didn't know the Pats cut him. I was on the mill sweating and saw Testaverde and how he might be starting. The highlight was him in a Pats uni. My bad.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Boobie Miles: Nice points and I definitely have to agree. I just get sick of people bashing Dallas for the hell of it instead of bringing something to the table to back it up. Just gets tiresome, but that's all in a day's work for a Cowboys fan I guess.

9. KP

KP Active Member

T_D, also keep in mind what we expected from certain teams heading into the season. Anyone think the Chargers or Bengals would suck as bad as they did? On the Cowboys side the same can be said for Da Bears. The Patriots schedule looked much more difficult heading into the year than the current 7-17 record. There was a lot of talk of them going 3-1 or even 2-2 when faced with the loss of Harrison.

For the Patriots opponents it's a lot of "They weren't who we thought they were!"

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which is a nice way of saying they've played no one.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

There's what three-to-five legitimate good teams in the league right now? No one's played anyone. This Sunday, two of those five good teams play each other. We'll know a lot more about both after that game.

12. KP

KP Active Member

But heading into the season a lot of people thought SD-NE would be a great game because they thought heading into the season SD was a great team and a contender for the SB. That's why the Patriots haven't heard as much of this "look at who have they played" talk. Entering the season, raise you hand if you thought SD would start 1-3.

Draft saved Draft deleted