1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Week 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Sep 7, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Philip Rivers has completed 8 passes and still has more yards than the Raiders.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Raiders just called back-to-back timeouts to set up Janikowski and maybe avoid the shutout. Is it just me, or on Turner's touchdown, it felt like a bad varsity game where no one really cared anymore?

Edit -- no field goal attempt, Raiders lose 27-0. If you're not already asleep because of this game, you can go to bed now.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

OK, so among the shutoutees, who looked the worst?

The Pack? The Bucs? The Raiders?

Maybe it's just the immediacy of the moment, but oh my, the Raiders looked awful.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'd say the Raiders. The Pack were shutout by the Bears, and the Bucs by the Ravens. Sure, the Chargers have Merriman, but their defense isn't going to be among the five best in the league.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I agree with that, BYH. The Packers played the Bears, who have that great defense. The Bucs played Chris Simms against the Ravens, who might once again have a great defense. Like the previous two, the Raiders got shutout at home, but the Chargers are hardly known as en elite defensive unit. Good, yes, but not that great.

To gain only 129 yards on offense and allow nine sacks, that's pathetic.

(Good Doctor apparently beat me to the punch on this post.)

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Vermeil should immediately replace Theismann.... I thought I was in the film room.... he pointed out that the Raiders inexplicably have this nickel gameplan while you are ramming the ball down their throat.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Chargers' throwing the ball was the only chance the Raiders would have had to win.

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

The Chargers front seven may be the best in the NFL, and that's without Foley. Jamal Williams is stud. Vermeil said last night that Luis Castillo is the best defensive lineman he's seen enter the league in five years. Merriman is an absolute beast. I'll be very surprised if that's not a top five defense.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

OK, before we go too crazy here, isn't it possible that the Raiders just really, really suck?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly...one of maybe 3 times in his career he actually did anything worth celebrating.
    Actually, he wasn't bad, but that was just a ridiculously bad defensive breakdown.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Speaking of celebrating, it appears Jerry Porter didn't mind seeing Raiders quarterbacks getting sacked nonstop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2584133

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If the Pats pick this asshole up.... all I need... One more reason to hope Belichick goes 1-15.

Draft saved Draft deleted